Sunday 18 December 2022

PeterD Intro, Plans and Sorta Workspace

I’m PeterD and I am one of Curt’s regular gaming buddies.  Outside of Gaming I’m a University Instructor in Actuarial Science, which is a pretty sweet gig.  The Oldometer clocked 60 this year but my doctor tells me I’ve never been healthier and keep doing what I’m doing, which is good as my DC pension plan assets tell me not to retire anytime too soon!

Typical action shot, me reading rules while Stacy points.  Curt's man shed and table top with my toys.

The SSOD tells me that this is my 10th Challenge and I am once again a Minion this year.  I run a blog called the Single-Handed Admiral.  The name is a reference to Nelson and also to the fact that I was a solo gamer with interests in Naval Gaming when I set it up in 2011.  Since then, I have used the power of the internet to link up with gamers who live within 2 km of me and pretty much written off Naval Gaming as an epic fail on my part.

I’ve been gaming since about 1974, cutting my teeth on Featherstone rules and Airfix Waterloo sets before moving on to WRG ancients, scratch-built balsa wood pre-dreadnoughts  and 15mm Nappys.  I am pretty much a historical gamer with very occasional forays into Fantasy.  I don’t do much GW stuff as I don’t like their figures, setting, rules or prices.  But mostly historical research has always been the biggest draw for me so Spoon feeding from a Codex doesn’t hold much interest.

This year I am focusing on 28mm Ancients from Late Roman Britain, Romans and barbarians plus appropriate terrain bits. I also have some fantasy bits for my Beowulf DnD campaign and  some 10mm Nine Years War figures which I might get to.

As much as my downstairs workspace as I'm prepared to show.  Various bits and bobs in varrying states of completion or prep.

My tools of the trade in carrier

Mysterious MDFs projects set to be painted


I don’t have a permanent painting desk due a lack of space which isn’t taken up by too much stuff that we need to downsize.  I have some table space downstairs for figure prep and I set up for painting in the living room so as to spend time with family and watch TV etc.  


20 comments:

  1. Wow Pete, painting while watching TV. If I tried to sit up a painting station in the viewing room, I'm sure I'd be quickly chased away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been some degree of negotiation and requires care on my part (plus a drop cloth).

      Delete
  2. All the best Pete with your Roman project, I need a paint desk otherwise I would never be productive.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt. I’ve found that I work better by taking it in small bites and this is mostly working.

      Delete
  3. Romans, barbarians, Beowulf and Nine Years War? Should be interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tamsin. Let’s see how much of it I get down.

      Delete
  4. Some nice projects coming up, Peter! I’ll be looking forward to them, I hope the Nine Years War figures make the cut. Also, I notice that you base your figures before painting, might want to give that a try sometime. Have a great Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn. It’ll be the Williamite War in Ireland, but plenty of Dutch there as Billy didn’t trust many of his English units. In this case I based a few light infantry in prep as an experiment since they are in open order. I’ll let you what I think. Normally for pa8nting, I put my figures on wooden stir sticks from the paint section of Lowes or Gnome Depot.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff Pete! I'm looking forward to all of your projects. I see we have some Late Roman MG34s to look forward too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing what those mysterious MDF pieces are for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. Hopefully all mysteries will be revealed by the March equinox.

      Delete
  7. Mysterious MDF indeed - I suspect its all part of some sophisticated academic criminal cabal - I hear Canada is rife with those. Unlike like us Americans and our Moronic Criminal Cabals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back Peter, but I. Not sure we do any reading of rule books around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, yeah rules just get us confused.

      Delete
  9. Hope to see some of those 10mm NYW figures soon?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Beowulf setting sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a DnD hack and nicely put together adventures and setting

      Delete