Wednesday 8 March 2023

From PeterB - The Power of the Evil Horde! - 60 points

 And so we come full circle to a project I was working on at the beginning of the AHPC. During the challenge the next Wave of miniatures from Archon Studios was released for their Masters of the Universe - Battlegrounds game (That is a mouthful). So, I of course I ordered them, constructed and undercoated them during the challenge and got the set finished today.

This set is a new faction for the game, the Evil Horde. They may not be familiar to some, if at all to any of you. They are in fact the bad guys from the planet Etheria where Adora lived after being kidnapped by their leader Hordak. Adora of course being He-Mans twin sister known to most as She-Ra. (Fingers crossed Archon eventually release a model of She-Ra atop her winged unicorn Swiftwind)

Shadow Weaver and Hordak

A previous enquiry asked what the strange white bits on the front of the bases were of these models. They are a facing indicator as the rules take into account which way the model is facing at any one time. I therefore wanted to make them nice a clear in a clean white.


Horde Troopers


As per before, I have painted the models quite loyal to their original colour schemes, which as they were toys (and cheap filmation characters) are in a limited palette. I have shaded and highlighted a bit as otherwise they really do look dull.




Horde Wraiths


Catra and Grizzlor

The set also came with two pairs of matching trees for extra terrain pieces in the game. These were painted up with some simple layering of browns, highlighting up to a final tip of white to try and make them look like dead wood to match the aesthetic of the Evil Horde.



So, to the points,

That is 8 x 28mm characters - 5 x 8 = 40 pts

The trees take up the same space as 4 characters, but they aren't complicated to paint, so 10 points each? So another 40pts

Total = 80 points. (Maybe 60)


Minion Miles:  Those trees are pretty nice but they seem like terrain to me and I'm guessing they fill out a 6 inch cube so 20 points for them - sorry

21 comments:

  1. Interesting and odd but really nicely painted Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yep they are some of the oddest designs.

      Delete
  2. Rather strange peoples out there, but good work with the brushes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was the eighties I'm guessing toy designers were high on something.

      Delete
  3. No idea what they are but I like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely know some of them either to be honest.

      Delete
  4. Great work Peter. I think my nephew had Heman figures. Oops dating myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. It's fine, He-Man toys are still going, so that could be any age. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Nice work, Peter. I don’t know any of them, but I like Catra and Grizzlor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are more obscure characters than the original ones.

      Delete
  6. Groovy brushwork on these. I love seeing work from enthusiastic fans of which I know absolutely nothing about. It's very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. It is a universe that I knew a bit about as a kid and I am actually learning more about as an adult. There is a really good new Netflix animation that came out recently that I thoroughly enjoyed. Oh and its written by Kevin Smith! (Is that Smitty mention no 3 this year now?)

      Delete
  7. Nice work, Peter! You did catch the Filmation pallet well, they do have a cartoon look to them which is perfect for their origins! I like those tree bits, they may have been easy to paint, but they are really cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks David. Yeah, the trees came out nicely I thought. I'm tempted to use them for more than just this game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, Peter! The cartoony finish looks "real" on these.

    ReplyDelete