Sunday 24 December 2023

KenR : 28mm Garibaldi Infantry (121 points)

 

Back again in the Challenge, after all what else would I be doing at this time of the year!

No Big Project this year but I do plan to top and tail some projects you will be all familiar with (if you've seen my Challenge stuff before. The first thing I need to finish is the Garibaldi Project I started 2 Challenges ago.

I've been chipping away at the figures and the Papal Forces are complete, but I have 5 (well 4 now 😁) Infantry Battalions, 2 lots of Skirmishers and a small Cavalry unit to complete for Garibaldi and I've got a table at the York Show in February to put the game on so there's no mucking about ! There's also some terrain as well.

The figures are from a company called Gringo40s who do a comprehensive range of figures in 28mm for the Italian Risorgimento. They are on the large side for 28mm, but great detail.

The unit has 24 figures based in 6s on 60 x 60 bases. The front of the bases are extended to give some protection to the Muskets of the unit. At 5 points a piece that bags me a nice start of 120 points. 

I always try and get a score on the doors before Xmas in the Challenge and usually just do a Command Base, I went for a full unit this time and only just made it !

Merry Christmas everyone, looking forward to seeing all your entries coming up over the next few months.


______________________________

First, welcome back to the Challenge, Ken!

I always love seeing your big projects come to fruition during our event and this will be no exception. (Will you do the blank base photo for us to track?) Beautiful work on these Garibaldian lads. They very much look the business, all ranked up in their firing pose. Like you, I love the chunky sculpting from Gringo40 and am eager to see this force slowly (or quickly) flesh out!

- Curt

PS: I've given you an extra point for the national flag (apropos considering what all the fuss was about). :)

 

35 comments:

  1. Very nice, Ken! I'm trying to finish my first mini of the Challenge and you got 24! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extending the bases is a great idea. A very nice looking unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, its been my go to for about 10 years now, definitely worth it 👍

      Delete
  3. Well done Ken. Superb minis and high figure count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bruce, I love doing these little units 😀

      Delete
  4. Great stuff Ken, that red is superb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice minis Ken! I hope you accompanied your painting session with a suitable biscuit or 3! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, looking forward to doing some Bourbons soon 😉

      Delete
  6. Excellent looking redshirts!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Garibaldians! The figures look very nice and the unit as a whole looks fantastic, the deep bases are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing work as always. Your show game will look superb with minis like this on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant start to the comp and yes batch painting is what it's about for sure, but you have done an awesome job at the same time , keep them coming Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great start Ken, I do like a good unit of Garibaldi!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, there's a few more to come as well 👍

      Delete
  11. Welcome back Ken. It always feels good to get old projects finished off. These look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, definitely get it done by the end of the Challenge 😁

      Delete
  12. Lovely job Ken - welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to more posts as you work your way through these - reminds me must have a think about visiting the York Show! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be there mate, hopefully with the figures finished 😆

      Delete
  14. Well done unit. I like the extended bases.

    ReplyDelete