Sunday 7 January 2024

From BenitoV: Late Roman Mounted Archers for the History Section (100 points)

Greetings challengers and have a happy 2024. I'm not starting the year in my best shape, as I caught the seasonal winter flu (despite being vaccinated), which this year a becoming a serious pandemics, stretching  the national health service infrastructure to the limit. I 'd been in bed for a couple of days but with no fever (some coughing and headaches) and finally today (writing this piece on Saturday Jan 6th) I'm up and the worse moment seems passed.

Luckily, I made some progress with my painting work during the Christmas week and I'm able to post something today: a unit of Late Roman Mounted Archers.


This unit with 8 models represent 1 point in terms of the Saga armies accounting. This is an army that I intended to paint during last year's Challenge but was put aside due to other priorities.


The models are from the excellent 28mm Gripping Beast plastic range, in my opinion one of the best quality for price combination in the market. The models are multi-pose and the box offers options to build the unit armed with bows or javelins/spears.


This unit would also score in the Challenge Library History Section 



In summary:

 8 x 28mm Mounted figures @10 points each = 80 points

History Section Bonus = 20 points

 Total = 100 points 


Final advice: get your vaccines to avoid flu's worst symptoms and wear masks in crowded places.

Uff.. I hear you on the getting the jab.. having been taken out by this year's flu as well, it has been anything but fun. But glad to see you with us, and with continuing a growing trend of Gripping Beast models! Huzzah! Great work on the tunics there, and am loving how the groundwork really adds to the models here. Fantastic!

Kyle

39 comments:

  1. A Brilliant mounted unit Benito! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work Benito - I really like how the flowing manes and tales of the mounts work well together -- really dynamic. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Benito! These look wonderful - as Simon says, a wonderful dynamic looking unit. Get well soon, and send my love to Madrid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning unit Benito! I have some of these figures on the workbench, but with javelins instead of bows. I agree with your comments on the GB plastic Romans but also highly rate the equivalent Victrix packs. Best of all, the bits can be interchanged between the two ranges. I got my jabs for COVID, flu and Shingles all in the last six weeks on 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the Roman cavalry box before Victrix released their own, which is outstanding. However I'm now waiting for the Victrix heavy cavalry recently released to hit the shops here in Spain.

      Delete
  5. Spot on with these Cavalry, all round good stuff 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great painting - not tried the plastic Gripping Beast figures yet but you have done a fantastic job! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As said, GB offers probably the best quality for money

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work Benito. Lovely light cavalry to assist your Roman force. Happy you're over the worst part of your flu. Rest up and paint minis! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I'll have to rush and recover soe of the lost time

      Delete
  8. Nice work, I like the consistent uniforms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my doubts uniformity was so straightforward in the period, but they are Roman, right? They ssholud look pretty and nitty

      Delete
  9. Well, shoot. I have that box sitting in my closet and now I want to pull them out and get them put together. I won't, but I want to. Great, and inspirational, work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are yu waiting for??? Go and grab them ;-)

      Delete
  10. What a stunning entry beautifully painted, lovely crisp paint work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work, sorry to hear you were under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the incidence, this time is real Spanish flu, not like in 1918. Thanks

      Delete
  12. Lovely horseflesh Benito, best wishes for a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent work Benito. Really enjoy the horses and be well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job on these, Benito! I had the flu without fever in December, very irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are excellent. I agree with the comment about value for money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I found no worthy printing models for the period with my 3D after finding the GB range

      Delete
  16. Fine work as always Benito!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great looking unit. I hope those horse tails sticking straight out are stronger than my old brettonians - they didn't fare well after a few battles. Lovely attention to detail on the horse socks and faces.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great work Benito, hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete