Friday 15 March 2024

From SylvainR: D&D - 28mm Demonettes, Angels and Dragons (80 points)

This will be the last submission for my D&D collection. All these vinyl miniatures are from Reaper and were donated by JeremyM.


Before I present some close-ups of the painted models, I want to show how I dealt with some issues inherent to vinyl casts. Below is a typical example: a badly bent main body for the green dragon.

With a heat gun set on the table, nozzle facing upward, I gently expose the legs to the hot air, gradually raising the temperature until the legs can be bent into the desired position. You can see a happier green dragon below.

Since vinyl parts rarely fit well, I extensively use Tamiya putty to fill in the ugly gaps.

Now to the first four models, a quatuor of demonettes. I painted the bases terracotta with dark grey rocks and it nicely ties them together.



For the quatuor of angels, I did four different skin tones. Since the "red" angel was bald, I thought I should paint her like a woman warrior of Wakanda, as seen in Marvel's "Black Panther" movie. The bases were painted blue to create a visual contrast with the orange bases for the demonettes.


Empress Maria Theresa, from a previous post, is seen here introducing a blue dragon and a white dragon. There were a total of ten dragons in my pile of unpainted miniatures and the four presented here are the smallest ones. Now I feel ready to handle the bigger ones, maybe for next year's challenge? For the bases, I tried to simulate scorched ash land.


Finally, a green dragon and a red dragon. The green one is seen here with his legs position mended by the heat gun. I think the four dragons are big enough to qualify as "mounted" figures.



Points claimed:

8 x 28mm foot figurines at 5 points each = 40 points

4 x 28mm mounted figurines at 10 points each = 40 points

Total = 80 points 

Thanks for reading!

And well deserved thanks to Curt and Sarah for organizing (and cheering for) the Challenge, to Dallas for minioning on Saturdays, and to all the challengers for making the activity of painting miniatures a non-solitary hobby!

From Millsy: Oh man, that's some serious bendiness Sylvain even for Reaper Bones! Interesting technique for straightening them out and I applaud your bravery, that's a touch and go thing not melting the plastic. The demonettes are the standout for me, with the variety of wonderful skin tones especially that green! Lovely work all around mate.

6 comments:

  1. these great beasties will be a brilliant addition to your gaming sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Sylvain, and a great lesson in xenobiologic surgery. I would have scorched my fingers with that heat Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great additions to a fantasy collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the practical construction advice. These all turned out great, especially the blue and green dragons. So much depth in that blue.

    ReplyDelete