Thursday 21 March 2024

Wrapping it up for Lorenzo - AHPC14 - a great challenge!

Well back in December 2023 as I mulled over whether to join some online painting sessions I went and joined two at the same time, having never done these before. No regrets though. My painting capacity was stretched so that was a good thing and in more ways than I thought - I had assumed it would be just volume or rate. First up - the other event - Dave Stones "Paint what you've got" was meant for my existing paint queue. Well I managed just two lots - for 1848 - Pickelhaube Prussians and some Danish Volunteer Kepi Cavalry. I have been a bit naughty and slipped the Volunteer Cavalry into the "Final Collection picture". Its just a shameless plug for the the First Schlieswig Holstein War (which started on 24th March 1848). Hopefully Curt and my minion Sylvain will forgive me. Turning to Sylvain I must say a big thank you for his Musee des Fossilles backdrop to our Monday Crew. And I have really enjoyed discovering AHPC. Thanks to the Monday crew and all the comments people kindly left for me. The big story for my AHPC14 was I encountered the library challenge. This completely derailed my 1848 army painting plan. So the Lancers, Hussars, Cuirassiars, Dragoons, and more Artillery remained in the paint queue. In the event I managed..... 8 Danish Riflemen 8 Schlieswig Holstein Chassuers 12 Danish Guard Infantry 1 Danish Artillery piece I am happy with that, not to mention that at least another 5 units have now been started. Now back to the library challenge - this was fascinating - I got lost there. Which is at it should be. I then descended into fantasy courtesy of Doncaster Christmas Toy Fair. A venerable 1980's Games Workshop Cyclops was found hiding unloved at the back of one trade stand, who along with a Partizan freebie Empress Matilda 1140's era, made up my first non 1848 entries. Second up was a reconnaisance Spitfire from 1939 in "Camo Mint". A five quid snip at the same toy fair. I had then envisaged doing pink and then blue versions but I simply took too long on other entries that now demanded my attention. Suddenly Nissen Huts invaded my mind - apparently my first library trip was to one in a Nissen Hut. So this hut took a lot of time as it was built from scratch including the whole idea generation - Truly out of the blue: However it was the "more satisfying" for that creativity moment. Then another Partizan Freebie took my eye in the great figure heap - General Sikorski. He was duly painted up and some more DIY gave him a suitable plinth. Then it was back to 1848 with some Schlieswig Holstein Chasseurs. To complete the challenge I offered up a "figure bashed" sci fi character (magazine freebie ww2 german + bits and bobs) plus another toy fair bargain (1/32 ww2 soldier) who morphed into a cute monster - idea courtesy of the Wargaming Pastor. And last but not least was Noggin the Nog in 28mm from the little soldier company. Next here are some pictures.
As you can see a nice varied collection and Noggin the Nog sends his apologies but he is already gifted to my friend who suffers from dementia and was just delighted with him. It simply remains for me to thank everyone from Curt, organisers and minions right down to anyone who painted and presented - I really enjoyed this challenge both through my contribution and seeing what others created. thank you!

22 comments:

  1. A great collection of painted minis, I had already forgot the library! It a excellent to have you at the Monday crew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your challenge. I loved the Noggin the Nog, I may have to investigate getting him myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - I certainly think the little soldier range capture the spirit of this plucky hero.

      Delete
  3. Good having you around this year and hope to see again in 9 months from now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anibal thank you - i hope to be back, I have plenty of stuff that got primed but then I ran out of time!

      Delete
  4. Quite a variety of genres in your painting output. Well done. Really like your scratchbuilt Nissen hut. See you in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frederick - well the diversity is simply down to AHPC and the library. I had planned simply to focus on 1848 Danes and Germans - plans huh! I thoroughly enjoyed doing the unexpected.

      Delete
  5. Nice output. The library was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom - certainly it was not in my mind back in December - I am very pleased with it especially the accidental finding at the right moment a certain hoover maker packaging is spot on for corrugated roofs!

      Delete
  6. Great work here! Noggin the Nog was a beauty and the story behind him is great too - all the best to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you had a good time, it was great to see your contributions. Your Nissen hut is great and I loved the Danish troops. See you in December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emjenic the Nissen Hut was out of the blue so very satisfying - pleased you like the Danes

      Delete
  8. Great collection of figures,loved the Nissen hut but Noggin the Nog was the standout for me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, I the Nissen Hut was a surprise and so was Noggin, yet I remembered Noggin so that was an easy decision - the figures just demand to be painted. The Nissen Hut was an altogether different challenge - but thats the beauty of AHPC!

      Delete
  9. Great having you along- the map is a great way to paint the oddities in your collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks if it had not been for the library you would have had loads of 1848 Danes and Germans - fun for me but maybe not so fun for everyone else.

      Delete
  10. A great effort all round, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work Lorenzo. I really enjoyed your Danish Dutchies project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had a terrific Challenge debut Lorenzo. Noggin was very special and I also loved your Danish project. Well done!

    ReplyDelete