Wednesday 31 December 2014

From JuanM - 'Spain Rules the Waves!' Conquistadores, Piranha Boy, Zombie and Pulp Adventurer (35 Points)

Hello!
Here is my third entry for "The Challenge". Step by step, at the moment, I´m winning my little "Side Challenge" with Phil so Spain is ruling the waves this time, at the moment...

Well, here are the figures I have painted:
First one, my entrance fee to "The Challenge". Last year, I left it for the last moment and then I forget all about this figure, so this year I have painted it in the first month. So here is my antihero, a 28mm English Sea Dog from Foundry Miniatures.



In Spain, these English adventurers have been, from ever, no more than pure pirates and opportunist smugglers but they were also very brave men, the builders of the British Empire. I´m not going to call them patriots (nor Drake, IMHO, was a patriot) but they were true Englishmen as our "Conquistadores" were true Spaniards.

So here is my rogue or person of dubious character.



2.- A 28mm (well, a very short 28mm) Piranha Boy from Four A Miniatures. A very nice model, really easy to paint I expect to use in some games of "Pulp Alley" I have planned for 2015.



3.- Another 28mm (this one, a tall 28mm one) figure from Four A Miniatures, Otis. One of their fantastic zombies I expect to use, too, in my "Pulp Alley" games. My wife says his skin is too healthy for a zombie and I, secretly, agree with her, but I wanted to test the Flesh pack of paints from AK Interactive and was unable to greenish it.
So he is a very healthy zombie...



4.- Another 28mm sailor from Pulp Figures. This one, armed with a rifle to be able to argument with the bellicose natives of Bolo Bolo Island. Another wonderful figure without castings problems and very easy to paint. A pleasure.




And this is all until the next year. In the end, I´m painting more Pulp figures than those I had planned, but I´m enjoying them a lot.

Cheers and a Happy New Year (with Spain ruling the waves, Phil...).


From Curt:  
All four of these figures are fantastic Juan. Thank you very much for the superb Conquistador Elizabethan gentleman.   Without the beard I think he may even look like Phil. Even though the 'healthy' zombie and the pulp adventurer are both excellent I must say I'm strangely drawn by Piranha Boy. 'Nice teeth junior, make sure you floss everyday!'  Yeesh. I'll have to get one of these little guys for my Deep One family...

54 comments:

  1. Good stuff. Like the Conquistador a lot a good balanced fighting stance. Good work all around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. But he is an English adventureer!

      Delete
    2. Well Given that even Curt thought he was a Conquistador I guess I am in good company :). Spanish or English he is a fine looking fellow.

      Delete
    3. Due to my bad English, I think.

      Delete
  2. They are great Juan.. The Conquistador is my favourite..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrrg! He is not al ragged Conquistador but an smart English traveler. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Sorry Juan, it was my bad (late night) reading of your post. Of course he's an Elizabethan rake er, gentleman.

      Delete
  3. Ah Juan, you're really motoring - and trouncing me! The conquistador is great, good choice of Curtgeld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you a lot. I was going to calle him Campbell...
      And he is not a Conquistador...:'(

      Delete
    2. I think it was the helmet that sidetracked me. (He's too handsome to be a Campbell...)

      Delete
  4. Great stuff Juan. I actually like the Zombie best of all. might have something to do with such a ghastly walking corpse walking beside such a lovely bunch of flowers on his base. Made me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent painting work señor!
    That Marañón :-) is stunning
    And happy 2015 to all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Et tu, Bruto... Pues hala, lo dejamos en marañón :-). Then, he is going to be a Marañón.

      Delete
  6. Excellent painting. I want to pick a favourite but they are all so good I can't. I like them all very much indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spain rules the waves or does Spain waive the rules?
    ; )
    Some great figures there, Juan, and paintjobs to match! I'm impressed with your Elizabethan sea dog (or is he an agent of Spain? Opinion seems divided on this! ) and look forward to seeing more of your work on these pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He is a brave Englishman, of course, and a sea dog!
      What is the meaning of "waive the rules"? I cannot find it.

      Delete
    2. I hope this helps.

      Waive: some of it's meanings are - disregard, ignore, overlook, forgo, drop, omit.

      It is used in a positive sense, mostly. An example being: 'The lady didn't have any money, so the receptionist waived the entrance fee and let the lady enter for nothing."

      It's a word with a few meanings.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Roy. I had found some of those meanings but my understanding was mainly negative, as the meanings.
      Cheers!

      Delete
    4. You're welcome Juan.
      Also, Evan was probably making a pun with his sentence.
      Wave and Waive being pronounced the same.



      Delete
  8. These are great, I don't mind my zombies being in the pink.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps these zombies are a new breed, adept to vitamine C.

      Delete
  9. Love the zombie and the conquist.... erm Brave and noble English adventurer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these are gorgeous Juan. I admire you painting style. Your highlights are always perfect, your contrast is great and you choices in palette excellent. So crisp, clean and effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ann. Your words are really kindly! I'm enjoying a lot this painting exercise.

      Delete
  11. Love the figures - while the first one may be titled an English Adventurer, I'm pretty sure in his heart he's a Spanish Conquistador!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic mix of miniatures, Juan! The helm may be a hallmark of conquistadors, but my ancestors smacked around French and English that wore them too! Pirrahna boy and zombie look really good, but I like your pulp sailor the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I like a lot these figures.

      Delete
  13. You have a wonderfully clean, crisp style Juan. The green on first figure is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work Juan! I recently found out about Four A miniatures - they are very cool figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are. I expect to buy some more of them.

      Delete
  15. Fabulous painting Juan! That noble Englishman came out fantastic and I really like your Piranha boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I´m thinking a bout to buy some more Englishmen for games based in North America.

      Delete
  16. Terrific work on these very different and interesting entries. Piranha boy is totally creepy, as is the zombie. The other chaps are both stout looking heroes in their own ways.
    Best to you in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you a lot, Michael. Piranha Boy is a fantastic miniature.

      Delete
  17. Brilliant work, they all look excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All are great but Piranha Boy really gets your attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, he is a great character with a radiant smile.

      Delete
  19. Funny to read about a Sea Dog portrayed in a negative light, but I definitely understand your point. In the Anglophone world, they're always the plucky heroes standing up against Big Bad Spain!

    Piranha Boy has the makings of a mascot. Great work on the shading and highlighting there especially.

    As for the zombie looking too healthy, I know I for one wouldn't want to wake up and find my skin looking quite that color...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. In fact, all of them were bad boys! But the anti-hero is always the better character in the movie, I think.
      A mascot... yes, great idea.
      Next zombie will more greenish, I expect.

      Delete