Wednesday 14 January 2015

From GillesW - Time for a surprise! (228 Points)


Time for a surprise!!
No! This time it's not my usual Hungarians ;)
This is a little diversion, normally I planned to paint something completely different, but last Wednesday when I searched what I needed, I fell on an old bag containing some Mycenaean packs, they layed there since.... ( I don't remember in fact, perhaps last century;).
So they must get up and take the Field (of Glory)!
The figures are from Essex Miniatures and Chariot Miniatures 15mm ranges based like all my biblical armies.
So here they are:
one commander and 3 units of charioteers in Dendra armour "or how to fight disguised like a tin can?"




and then 3 units of light infantry, Be careful some troops need parental advisory!








6 more units and one more rubbish army will be finished.
Below : how they were last wednesday and my painting desk after I left it this afternoon;)





 What will be the next ???....


From Curt:

Yes Gilles, these are definitely NOT Hungarians. :)

Great work Gilles (I loved the tin can comment)! The Challenge is all about getting old projects off the table (more so if they are from the previous century!).   I really like your arid basework on these fellows (Right now I want a plane ticket to wherever they are). 

Your paint station looks far too orderly and coordinated to be real - it must be one of those ersatz, stand-in, stunt-stations we all keep hearing about...  

23 comments:

  1. I have a Minoan/Mycenaean army to paint as well. But at the moment I can't face it. Yours do look very accomplished though. But I must stick with Zulus for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice submission! Awesome. That painting set up is way too tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great submission and I really like those chariots. Yes, that table is abnormally clean and tidy. But you'll muck it up with your next project soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on these Mycenaeans, Gilles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looing figures - I have the 28mm version from Foundry to finish painting, on the reserve list. I'm always concerned for the tackle of naked slingers. There seems to be too many things in motion for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now *that* is a cracker of a "side project"... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice indeed - I like the transition from blue plastic bag to tabletop and they're really effective looking at this scale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a stunt station. :) It's terrific to see a well painted ancients army. The slingers ... hmmm, I can't imagine going into battle that ... vulnerable. And where do they keep their spare ammo?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great submission, you really got those out quick and they look very good too

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great painting work, and Mycenaean!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot my friends.
    I clean my paint station each time I use it, my psy if I had one, should certainly had an answer to this curious habit ;-)
    to Michael's question:The slingers are a one shot weapon and after they flee so lighter they are, faster they run (or an artistic license if you prefer);-)

    Be seeing you;-)

    GillesW



    ReplyDelete
  12. your statement: "I clean my paint station each time I use it.." Implies you finish one project and only then move on tho the next... that can't be right were is the half assembled pieces of your next project? Good stuff though I like the chariots any chance we can get a close up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam,
      You're almost right ;)
      The first part of the Mycenian heavy infantry is on the paint station since half an hour.
      I'll put some close up of the chariotry on my blog.

      be seeing you:)

      GillesW

      Delete
  13. Rubbish armies are always fun... It's that day when the do actually win that makes it! Well done on dragging them into life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always a sucker for massed ranks of chariots. These look great!

    Also, I'm pleased to find I'm not the only person who only uses a single goose-neck lamp. All these other setups with their multitude of light sources were making me feel a bit inferior...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a gooseneck, but my light source is a table lamp with a 60W bulb. Since I paint in the family room I have to leave the shade on, my kid's will tell on me! ;)

      Delete
  15. Great work Gilles - very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh lovely! Nice to see some biblical goodness around. I really love these chariots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice work, Giles! Neat to see the before and after. I really like the chariots and the the detail on the infantry!
    I can't remember the last time my desk was as tidy as yours! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet! The chariots had to be a pain just to assemble. THEN comes the paint. So cool to see your paint station, Gilles. It tells me that you have very good vision. No way could I paint by the light of a single bulb.

    ReplyDelete