Wednesday 14 January 2015

From JuanM - Goblin, Pulp, Brigadistas & Essex (30 Points)

Hello, my friends. Here is my entry for this week. Again, not too many figures, but I´m unable to paint faster!

As I said in a previous entry, I wanted to paint some Fantasy figures in 28mm. I have some of the excellent models from Scibor Miniatures, small resin gems I would like to use in skirmish games and this is the third one I have painted (and the one I can put in this Challenge):



He is The Prophet, a mysterious Goblin who has come from the mountains to preach a message of hope (and rebellion) to the subdued Goblins, an ancient - and not to brilliant - folk enslaved for centuries by the mighty Moscal Empire.

I´m not too pleased with the green I have used in his skin, and I think that in a near future I´m going to paint another Prophet, but I like a lot the figure. This is a resin miniature full of character and quality and a full revolutionary!

Of course, there is another Pulp Figures miniature; a new armed sailor ready to defend his mates. I´m enjoying a lot the painting of these figures, and I´m awaiting some more of them!



Two more Brigadistas from Empress Miniatures. I´m finishing their bag, at last!!!!!



And the last one. Another English adventurer. This time, this is the Earl of Essex from Warlord Games. I have painted this figure to cooperate with the Thirty Years War project there is now active in my local club. They need some Generals and cavalry, so here is this English mercenary General, Edmund Campbell, looking for a new contract.




The figure is very nice, with a lot of detail, but half of his face was in a not very good shape, so I have taken the opportunity to paint him an eye patch to give him a more piratical look.

Cheers!


From Curt:

Lovely work Juan. I have a few Scibor figures in blister and seeing your Prophet makes me want to tear mine out of their packages and get going on them. I really like his red eyes and the dried (or fresh) blood on his mallet. His schnauzer (nose) is pretty impressive as well! 

The Brigadistas are also excellent. I like how you've used different webbing colour to give them some more visual interest.

Finally, the addition of the eyepatch to mask sculpting flaws on Essex is a stroke of genius. And the yellow sash provides a gorgeous punch of colour to the figure.

This 30 points will give Juan enough to meet his 250 point duel with Phil, but I'm a bit torn here. Part of me thinks it should be whoever reaches the point target first, but the scheduled submission day makes this difficult, as someone may have enough points mid-week to win their duel, but are restrained by waiting for their submission day. I'm wondering if, in the spirit of fairness, we should wait until the end of the 'paint-week' (Sunday) to adjudicate the duels.  If we did this then Phil would have his submission day (tomorrow) to see if he can come up with enough points to tie with Juan.  I kind of like this approach as it provides a bit more of a level playing field but it will play to having more 'ties' as a possible result. What are the thoughts of the group?

51 comments:

  1. Brill. The Earl of Essex is a particular favourite.
    With regards to the side challenges Curt I would wait for equal submission rounds, otherwise alphabetical order wins. ties can be decided by who wins by most points above target. for next year maybe you could swap submission days so challengers submitted on same day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. This is better to wait until Phil has submitted his figures (I´m sure he has a lot of them ready to charge!).

      Delete
  2. Quite excellent again Juan. And you brought it up a notch to the finish line - all of these and a theme round entry! The goblin in particular is quite excellent and the earl's lovely yellow sash and groundwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you a lot. I´m enjoying a lot this Challenge, and painting a lot of different figures!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant figures and painting. You have done that checked shirt so very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! The shirt has been really easy to paint.

      Delete
  4. Some more excellent stuff from your table! As always the SCW figures are my favourites. But the checked shirt on sailor came out particulary great. @our dear snowlord: looking at the facial hair of the Lord of Essex it seems to me like he's an ancestor of yours. Maybe I really should call you snowlord, not snowman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord Essex is Lord Campbell in this incarnation, as you say. I expect he will be able to win a lot of battles!
      Thanks!!!

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a high-quality level work Juan!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, my friend, ¡y muchas gracias!

      Delete
  6. Great work Juan.. love the check shirt..

    As for targets hmm... i suppose equal submission week - then who gets what point total

    but for mine with Millsy... first past the post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I´m with you. The better is at the end of the week.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  7. Very, very nice indeed Juan! Campbell (Essex) looks every bit as evil and avaricious as the original and I love him. The check shirt on the armed sailor is really eye-catching though and my favourite of the lot.

    Regards paint duel point totals I like your thinking Curt. Most gentlemanly and in the spirit of the Challenge. And as for mine and Dave's little flap, he's spot on. No mercy. Not ever. Even if he does post first each week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Curt's approach is fair and gentlemanly; however with the dates auto added will record who hit the mark first for Dave and Millsy!

      Delete
    2. Thank you a lot.
      A great idea; this must be fair and gentlemanly (but Spain is ruling the waves!!!).

      Delete
  8. Very nice mix of minis, Juan!
    I think the green on the goblin looks very good, and a splendid model to boot! He just oozes character and the subtle bloodstains on his club just add to him. Curt's ancestor is very nice too! The spartan color lends even more to his being more a fellow of action than court, the eye patch is a nice touch as without your mention, I'd never had known he was miscast!
    The SCW also nicely done( I really like how you paint the rifles) the difference in web gear and clothing alludes to the adhoc and varied equipment of the conflict.
    The sailor and his shirt are my favorite of this bunch...that shirt really makes him pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think all are really good but Essex really is fantastic

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Juan - beautiful work on all of these :)

    @ Curt - that does seem like a fair way to determine outcomes of the side-bets. I think that my 1500 point race with Alan is the most extreme as he posts on Monday and I post on Saturday.
    As an alternative, perhaps when one or more of the participants in a side bet are getting close to the target, you could allow all of them to post on the same day (or any day?). It should be possible for you to determine the winner by the position of their posts in the draft queue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Essex wonderfully done! I like them all.

    @ curt Regarding the challenges... I think maybe we need a challenge day (Sunday?) so as people approach the end point their submissions are held and then posted together. That seems like the fairest way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marvellous painting on all the minis, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to wait until the end of the painting week. This is the fair, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reply myself.
      Another option could be to submit the final entry in a challenge when you have it ready, independently of the day of the week.

      Delete
    2. You are very kind Juan. But I concede this one to you as Thursday rolled around and despite a late surge, I had nothing finished to offer. Perhaps next week.

      Congratulations on your well-earned win! Wonderful painting.

      Delete
    3. Thank you a lot, my friend. It has been only a bit of luck and some free days from work.

      Cheers!!!

      Delete
  14. Incredible brushwork Juan - these are amazing. Your work is just excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, my friend. These figures are a pleasure to paint and there is the difference.

      Delete
  15. Hi Juan , a great and versatile submission!
    all are perfect paintwork!
    I really like the fur work you done on the Gob.
    Hi Curt, you are the umpire , you decide , we follow ! ( like in a rugby game, and we'll lose less teeths this time;))

    All the best.

    GillesW " don't call me big nose!;)"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay!! You did the fantasy! Scibor does make some fantastic sculpts don't they. I've one of their dwarves and have yet to paint it.

    I always look forward to you posting day as I do enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a Goblin "captain" on the table now, but, first, I need to finish some more Brigadistas... The dwarves, specially the adventurers and miners, are very nice, a joy to paint.
    Thank you very much, madam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some really beautiful brushwork Juan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. An interesting mix of figures and all well done. The wood grain on the sailor's rifle and his checked shirt are especially well done.
    Love the goblin as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent work on that shirt in particular, nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect to repeat the shirt work in other figures!

      Delete
  21. Really nice figure selection and excellent painting.

    @Curt. Seems only fair to have competitors have a chance to submit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These models are just fabulous. You've done a terrific job on them. Lots of superlatives there but they deserve it.

    Curt, it seems only fair to give each person in the challenge a chance on their day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. All of you are really kindly.

      Delete
  23. I love your goblin. I think he looks fine, but I know what you mean about try to find the "right" shade of green. I also love the detail of the shirt on the Pulp figure.

    As to the side challenge, I think waiting till the "paint week" is over seems fair. One could make the argument that someone whose time is later in the week has an advantage. Curt could hold those posts back I guess, but it seems like a lot of extra work. I trust that Curt will justly administer this as all other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean. I have now a new recipe about Goblin green...

      Delete