Wednesday 14 January 2015

From MartinC - I thought I was slowing down but.... (200 Points)


I thought I was slowing down but despite being back at work and having to work Saturday (I never work Saturdays), I've still managed to complete 2 more Union regiments and this walker.


This is 28mm Grizzly Walker from Clockwork Goblin and stands a mighty 96mm high (plus fence). I've being eyeing it up for about a year but they have a sale on and I succumbed. It is painted in Vallejo Cam. Olive Green and dry brushed in a variety of greens and browns. The decals are cut out of an old copy of Wargames Illustrated.


The model is very well cast and a doddle to assemble - there are instructions on the web site. It has ripped up a section of scratch built fence, made from lollipop sticks, that was simply in the way. The graffiti relates to the worlds greatest football team (the football that you play with your feet using a ball shaped thing as opposed to any of the other 5 different types). The reference figure was pre-painted and from my VBCW collection. He was selected as his scarf is the correct team colours.

The headlights are sky blue and mithril silver mix and they work quite well.


I was going to base it up but I love it and want to play with it plus any base is going to be too big to be practical on the table . Will have to buy more. That gives me a new period to collect as I think it's a bit epic for VBCW, but you never know. I've no idea how many points this is worth.


Next are the 114th Pennsylvania, my Union Zouaves Regiment. My painting has really improved and I think this unit and the following 141th Pennsylvania are some of my best painting ever. I've now finished the Union division infantry but still have cannon and da boss to paint. 



I've even been tarting up the bases thanks to you lot. No more simple flocking for me.







From Curt:

Great entry Martin! That walker is very cool. I have some of the stuff for the 'Dust' game and this looks to be a good fit - check it out.

Those two regiments look excellent, especially the fancy-pants zouaves. I must say I'm amazed at the change in your painting since you started this bit of madness a little over a month ago. Everything from the shading to the detail on the groundwork has 'amped up'. I really love seeing this as it further validates the benefits of the Challenge in my eyes.

Keep up the steam Martin!

36 comments:

  1. II'm always so pleased to see you top of the line painters submit so much and at such a high level. That Walker is splendid and the sign he's holding makes him really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really you go too far. I'm just a fence painter who thought he knew his limitations. How wrong I was. Back to the next unit of rebs and something a little special for next week.
      ta

      Delete
  2. Great entry, the mech is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a big bad vehicle, and very well painted as well.

    The ACW also shines, great work all round

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Grizzly looks hungry, Time to feed it I think.
    I should paint a few more ACW up as well. I have been pestered to do Zourves and as they look so good I am getting tempted. Must resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goo'arn. You know you want too. Actually the zouaves were fun to paint

      Delete
  5. Some lovely work Martin, especially the Zouaves. As Curt said you can clearly see the improvement in all aspects of your work since the start of the Challenge. If I was you I would wash the flesh on the infantry but it's a minor thing and they are terrific regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can feel the improvement. Just started the next batch so will try the wash. My history with washes is a little mixed, still got some Citadel Flesh wash that makes them all look like Dale Winton ( and it smells a little funny now). Will try some thinned down darker flesh tones and you can judge next week

      Delete
  6. Nice painting, really like the work on the Grizzly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Curt. The Challenge has really improved my skills. Wasn't sure what would happen but it's turning out great. I've even been buying figs I would never think about just to test myself. Even started to think about the next challenge - need some Romans and some WSS French and some...... well you know how it is

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good stuff alright. Zouaves are a great looking unit.. And that too me that's the key ... Don't get lost in single figure detail and over process it. Bases and flags make units ... Next is faces..

    A wash on the faces would work.. Or extra highlights on chin, cheek , nose forehead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta. Just washed the faces of the next regiment, twice - 1st time they looked jaundiced. See how they progress next week

      Delete
    2. Look forward to seeing them.

      Delete
  9. Top work, Martin! And a varied entry, to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That walker is just great! I think you've done a great job on its weathering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really good work,Martin! The ACW does keep getting better with each entry, but I REALLY like that walker!
    It really doesn't help that my son is keen on the DUST tactics stuff! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The walker is a really great figure. Easy to build, nicely detailed and very very stable. Service was excellent and speedy. I also have some of the robot infantry and that is also cool

      Delete
  12. Well done Martin - the "tarting up" of the bases is something I have also picked up from other Challengers (and from Curt). Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It always felt a bit like gardening to me and I have a real issue with infantry in a field on a base of rubble and vice versa.
    However that said I do think that simple flocking no longer cuts it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely gardening! Glad the challenge is helping you find new methods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really I'm more of a green tarmac kinda guy but thank you I am enjoying the new ideas and methods

      Delete
  15. Ah, I love the Grizzly! I was eyeing one of those up last year at Salute. One day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they're still in the sale at 15% off

      Delete
  16. This post for me really sums up what the challenge is all about. You've really put a lot of thought into how you want to progress with your painting and basing, and your work really shows. Fantastic. I also really like your walker. Time for some Weird War 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. The new techniques and flourishes have been the best thing for me. Wasn't sure at the start of the challenge what I wanted out of the challenge but the quality on display is infectious. The repetition of the ACW brigades has enabled me to try new techniques on whole regiments.

      Delete