Sunday 21 January 2018

From JimI: Mid 13th Century European Longbows (85 Points)

(From Curt: As a preamble to our Theme announcement, a few of our rearguard brushjockeys will be joining us. Here Jim arrives with this beautiful entry to kick off his Challenge run.)

This is somewhat of a diversion for me, having been up to now, better recognised for my work in the black powder era. 


Some years ago, on a whim, I purchased a box of Fireforge Games Foot Sergeants. I was extremely impressed with them. Enough so that I assembled and painted a handful.

This year, amongst other things, I am putting together a fantasy army. Having previously seen these wonderful minis from Fireforge I was left in little doubt as to what figures I would be using for the project.

Unfortunately, much of the army was assembled and painted before this year's challenge opened.
I've still got lots to do though, and I'm looking forward to posting many more pictures from this excellent range of 28mm figures.

Here we see seventeen longbowmen painted in fairly generic livery but with blue a predominant theme.

All the best for now and good luck to everybody taking part in the Challenge.

_____________________________

Wow, absolutely gorgeous brushwork Jim! I love your fleshtones, the battered shield of the sergeant and the subtle shading on their leather and helmets. I also really like how you've staged and photographed your entry - it looks like a still frame from a movie!

If any viewers are readers of 'Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy' you will have seen Jim's figures featured  in that fine publication - his work really is a treat. This past autumn I had the pleasure to game with Jim, AdeD and PhilH at Jim's home nestled in the picturesque Worcestershire district

Jim, Ade, me and Phil at Jim's home having some games of Sharp Practice (I think the reason Phil is looking so smug in this photo is that he was thrashing me in the scenario we were playing...)

It was a great day out with lots of beautiful toy soldiers to enjoy and excellent company to be had (and I think they even let me win for one of the games!). Such gentlemen. :)

Welcome to the Challenge Jim!

11 comments:

  1. Very nice work Jim - lovely fleshtones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Challenge Jim. These guys may be latecomers but they'll make a fine rearguard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice...welcome to the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful painting. Glad to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic looking unit. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are very nice - the colour palette works a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work, Jim! I absolutely love the paint tones you've delivered on these figures. They look really great - distinctive, but realistic. And the photography is wonderful. Just a great entry to welcome you to the Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Jim - gorgeous brushwork as always, and your photography is top notch.

    ReplyDelete