Thursday 25 January 2018

KenR : 28mm WW2 Desert Pick n Mix (130 points)


Continuing with my alternate 28mm WW1 / 2 entries, this week I have this motley bunch of odds and sods for both my Italian and British Forces for North Africa.

Basically I need this lot for our next Op Compass game so needs must etc.


So for the Italians first up is this Perry's Italian 75mm Field gun and 4 crew, typically superb Perry's miniatures, I love the poses on these figures and the mix of uniform, or lack of it.


Followed by these 3 Italian Tankettes, it's a brave soul who gets in one of these, great for the Italian Colonial Campaigns before the war but in 1940 these were seriously out of date. Most newly painted troops are likely to have a rough time first time on the table, these will any time.


And finally for the Brits are these two Rolls Royce Armoured Cars and crew, painted in the official Caunter Scheme Colours, no fading to blue grey here.

So I make that 1 crew served weapon for 10 with 4 crew at 5 a piece for the gun (30), 3 x 15 for the three Tankettes with half points on the six crew 5pts x 3 (60) and 2 x 15 for the Armoured Cars and 5 pts for the two crew (35), so a total of 125 points.


Next up back to the WW1 with some Highlanders before I have a go at my first ever German Armour.

One of the things I really enjoy about the challenge is seeing armies come together and all this desert stuff is an absolute treat!

My favourite vehicles are the Rolls Royce armoured cars.... a real touch of sophistication to grace the battlefield!  If the Great Gatsby decided to go Postal, I reckon this is what he'd use.....  And more handpainted Caunter to boot?  Lovely stuff.

Those little Italian tankettes look even less reliable than your average alfa romeo.... brave souls indeed!

Your scoring is absolutely spot on and I'm going to add another 5 points for all the hand painted Caunter you've put out there (and the fact some of it is on Rolls Royces!)

32 comments:

  1. Nice work Ken! :)

    Have to agree - the Rollers are the gems of this entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome entry Ken! I love your painting on these. The Rolls armoured car has always looked so elegant to me, with it's long nose, exposed wheels and shooting-brake design. The camo just adds to the glamour. :) The Italian L3/35 has always seemed a cute deathtrap to me (how very Italian). I did one of these up for my Spanish Civil War collection and discovered in my research that they were considered so crappy that even when captured, the equipment-strapped Republicans refused to use them in combat - instead utilizing them for towing guns instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, they literally are the Rolls Royce of Armoured Cars.
      As for the CV I can never get over how small they are, you are a brave chap to get in one of those in a war zone.

      Delete
  3. Wow Ken I'm am just in hog heaven with this project. One on my serious bucket list but don't have the cajoles to paint WW2 in 28mm. Love the A/Cs, love the artillery piece, love the tankettes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, it's a great area to game, by having a cut off point of 31st Dec 1941mfor our kit it means you get some early war gems like this lot. Great fun.

      Delete
  4. Great stuff. The Rolls Royce is just pain sexy. I have some experience agaist to darn little tankets and they are murder on infantry (at leaset they are in Flames of war)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adam, might be the rules, it's Very vulnerable to every thing bigger than a rifle. I can guarantee that none will make it to the end of our next game.

      Delete
  5. Great work Ken! Every time I see hand-painted Caunter-style camouflage I feel like I spotted a Unicorn...excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg, it was a bit of an adventure on these as I have used AK Interactive paints for the Caunter.

      Delete
  6. Thursday Rocks! And we have Rolls Royce. So there.

    Very nicely done Ken. Love the little Italian tankettes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those RR A/Cs are divine Ken - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well done! I always had a soft spot for the Rolls AC‘s and yours turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work as always, Ken - you have a positive knack for the hardware!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind Evan, with 35 more vehicles due from Blitzkrieg Miniatures I will get lots more practice !

      Delete
  10. Lovely armoured cars and tanketts, but my favourite is the Italian artillery piece and crew, they're great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really great stuff, I have been doing North Africa in 6 mm, but the bigger miniatures are certainly attracting me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, you know what they say, Go Big or Go Home 😁

      Delete
  12. I do love the ACs. I can never get over how small the tankettes are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Barks, I know I wouldn't fit in one 🍔🍟

      Delete
  13. I wouldn't want to ride one of those tankettes, but they sure add character. The Italian gun and crew are wonderful too. Its a shame the desert forces usually are German or British, so it's wonderful to see Italians get the spotlight! ;)
    Like the rest I'm a fan of 5he Rolls Royse armored cars and that wonderful camouflage.
    TBH, my pulp project dream list is populated with all the units and equipment from WW1 and 2 just to paint and use without collecting entire armies. The Rolls AC is top of that list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David, the Italian stuff is very neglected, fighting the early battles in 40 is very rewarding.

      Delete