Saturday 17 March 2018

From MikeD: Hoplites and Skellies (113 pts)

I'm gonna cut it close here but I see my goal in sight. First up are 5 residual skeletons from the Skull & Crown line. I didn't get these rank and file done in time for the Monstrous theme round, but better late than never.
I really like this line. I also have a set of those Eureka Chaos figures that I had primed hoping to paint  for this years challenge, but it doesn't look like I'll make it in time. Together I'm hoping to do a nice Bruegelian horror diorama.

I've also made a dent in my Greek bin with 17 Foundry hoplites:
The big slowdown with these is obviously the shield decals and the painting of the skirts on the shields. I have mixed feelings about shield decals. Or better said, I am frustrated with my ability to get them to look decent. For all my micro-setting and micro-solling and dulcoting I can never get them to look smooth and even. But at a certain point you just need to declare "table-top quality" and move on, I suppose.

So between the living and the dead, that's 22 28mm foot for a total of 110 pts.

________________________________________________

Smashing post Mike, I just love those skellies, I am instantly transported back to my youth and watching Ray Harryhausen's wonderful contribution to 'Jason and the Argonauts'.  I have not had much cause to work with shield transfers, but the times that I have I came away in utter frustration at my inability to apply them with any degree of skill and so I have to say yours look rather splendid to me and for your efforts I am awarding an additional 3 bonus points.  Now by my reckoning you are only 65 points short of your par score, perhaps one more push for Tuesday? 


6 comments:

  1. Yep, you can't go wrong with Skellies vs Hoplites! Lovely nostalgic entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very characterful skellies and Greeks - great work Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice skeletons, lovely hopolites!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work, particularly the shields!

    ReplyDelete