Friday 28 December 2018

From DaveD: Cruel Seas part 2 - S Boats (21 Points)

A little more work done on the first elements of the German forces that are needed for a game on Sunday. I might get some more cargo ships done tomorrow - depending on visitors.


 So I have a S38 and a S100 completed. Again I added crew figures to these 4 to one (with the 3 weapons - one a scary quad 20mm!) and 3 to the other (with two weapons). A  few of you asked what I was using for crew - for these it is some re-purposed 1/300th Heroics and Ros modern Soviet Infantry I had in the spares pile  I used guys walking firing with their weapons cut off to lean into weapons as if firing. For the officer I had guys stood pointing - one of which I raised his arm - so these were placed on the bridge. the detail on the figures is pretty soft - they could just about be any nationality - so with a dark paint job, a bit of flesh added and a colour highlight for a life preserver I think  they raise the whole look.

Flags were used from the starter set - these had a hole drilled in the hull behind the wheelhouse and a pin attached for the flagstaff , the flag is then glued on with PVA then shaped.

these are good bit long than the British Vospers - and better armed ! 

bit of table salt used for creating the scenic shot!


2 x 1/300th vessels 
7 crew and two flags!

________________________

Beautiful work, Dave! I like the clean lines of your E-Boats and the salt wakes really set them off nicely. Bravo.

It's funny, as I was just rummaging through my micro-armour spares to see if I could come up with the same type of mods for crewmen. Sociopaths in simpatico, it seems! ;o) Yours here look terrific and I'm sure we'll be seeing others doing much the same after seeing them.

From my math, this brace of E-boats and attendant crew will put you at 21 points. Lovely work Mr. Docherty.





16 comments:

  1. More lovely looking boats. The salt effect looks great, but probably is a little impractical during a game. I'm surprised Warlord missed out on the chance to sell crew figures, the models look much better with that small additional touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers . Yes the salt is just for blog pictures . The game system uses a cardboard wake marker that indicates the current speed ..I think I will to see how to replace it with something more scenic

      Delete
  2. Beautifully painted boats Dave, and a surprising change of tack for your longtime fans out here in Blogland! (Is there ANYTHING this man can't paint?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ev.. never fear it’s only a smalll diversion !

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Cheers.. I does make a real difference to the look I really want to model some wakes too... will see about that after playing it!

      Delete
  4. Very nicely done Dave, excellentfibe detailinf and love the added crew figures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fantastic - I wasn't intending to get distracted by Cruel Seas but....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good mate! The crew definitely add something extra.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking E boats and crew!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Dave! We had our first games (yes... three game in one evening!) on friday and we really liked it. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those figures and flags really work well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice work and the crew are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete