Wednesday 30 January 2019

From Brendon W - Archers, Arabs and More (80 points)

This week I have a variety of plastic 28mm miniatures. 2 x Mongol Cavalry, 4 x Arab Archers, 6 x Dark Age Archers and 1 Norman Cavalry Casualty.




Gripping Beast Dark Age Archers except one. The plastic kit comes with only three body types. The Miniature with the quiver on his back is from Conquest Games. These double ups on 25mm round bases are suitably dull and drab and my less than average photo makes them darker perhaps.



A fraction brighter these Gripping Beast plastic Arab Archers but have more archers to paint and I think I might aim for a little brighter with them. I glue a lot less flock on the Arabs and I also do a quick highlight of Khaki on the Flock as I do for the Gripping Beast Mongols below.




These Fireforge plastic Mongols are based on 50mm squares to help extend my collection across unit trays. The black horse had a small slope constructed to give a change in angle.
I have only one more mounted Mongol in my unpainted hordes so hopefully this challenge will motivate me to completion. 

I did purchase some FireForge Mongol heavy cavalry but they are resin and not a high quality plastic kit. I have had them a few years but they are such lower quality of the ones above that I am on the verge of selling them rather than painting them. The sculpts suck! It's a mystery to me that parts such as the quiver and bow in its holster are totally different! Why not just use the bits from the set above? Anyway I will stop ranting about the disappointment they are.


The Conquest Games Norman Cavalry box comes with this great little unit base filler. I hand painted the shield on this miniature in pain (or in death). The belly of the horse looks a little odd in regards to the sculpture finish. They sit on a 50mm square and I think Casualties get half points.

Cheers from Brendon
__________________________________________________________________

Very nice work, Brendon - those Fireforge Mongols are especially cool! Pity their resin brethren haven't come up to scratch...

I couldn't find anything in the rules about scoring casualties (then again, I'm not known for my attention to detail in these matters), but I figure that the unfortunate Norman has to be worth at least as much as a regular mounted model given the effort that's gone into painting and basing him! So I'm scoring him as a regular cavalry figure.

Could your Dark Age project become the next Knights of Beer and Bacon, I wonder...?

Ev

17 comments:

  1. Really nice mongols,useful archers and a sweet casualty stand!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking archers and Mongols, but really lovely the casualty stand. FYI I think the official scoring is that prone foot figures are worth 1/2, but the Kiwi's more than earned the full points with his hand painted shield and lovely basing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice bunch, the casualty stand is very good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, I like the muted colours you've chosen, they really suit the models well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smashing stuff, that casualty figure is very well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks and really enjoyed looking at these figures - also think the casualty stand is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I have a bunch of the Gripping Beast Medieval Archers to do for the challenge as well, hopefully in the next couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Brendon. I have some of those plastic Arab archers myself, and just cannot find the motivation to paint them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well done Byron. I‘m not really a fan of either Gripping Beast or Fireforge plastics but you’ve certainly brought out the best in these kits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grand work, Brendon!
    I am still a fan of the Beer and Bacon force, but these will do just fine till the BnB boys get reinforcements! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your choice of realistic colours, very nice.

    ReplyDelete