Saturday 19 January 2019

From DaveD - 9th Airforce P47S & blast markers (34 points)

Another bit of progress for my 15mm Normandy 44 project. This time the introduction of air power for my US forces. - well JamesM needs something for his  Flak Korps  to shoot at other than Shermans

JamesMs lads need to get used to this view of the Jabo's - dakka,dakka , dakka...

These are P47 Thunderbolts made by Battlefront - two of which were fine. One of them had lot of problems with bent wings. Even with the persuasive powers of hot water and the  hair dryer the resin won't fully comply. I have made contact re getting a replacement - but for now its doing flying duties - it can be turned into a terrain piece when its been replaced.


I need to get hold of some of the taller flights stands as these are hedge hopping at the moment!

I had a mare with the supplied decals as they they were incredibly brittle and just fell apart - even with at the application of decal solutions etc - in the end I popped down to Pendraken Miniatures HQ (8 miles away) and picked up some from the I94 range they sell - they worked just fine!



hand painted invasion stripes - a fun job! I also want to add some propellor spinners - however I will wait until I have some more aircraft sorted (there are some on the way ) and order them up in a job lot. 

despite the hassles - I think these have come out pretty good - need more!
I have added a thinned satin varnish to the main panels which gives a very slight shine to the bare metal look . 

I couldn't pass up the chance to make up some blast markers from battery operated flashing tea lights - I got a box of 24 from china for a relative pittance. The casings of the lights were painted black , then I hot glued on some cushion filler and teased it into shape - a couple of sprays of grey and black and they are good to go. They are large markers for 15mm but for bombs I think they will be fine, They will also of course do duty in other games and genres. I have been looking at cutting the light casing down to make smaller markers and this is perfectly do-able so perhaps later in the challenge I  will get them done. In terms of size they take up about 1/2 a 6 inch cube box.


we do like a good KABOOM!




----------------------------------------------------
Guest minion Byron here again, wow these are great looking planes Dave!  I am not much of a plane buff, but when I first looked at these they remind me of the US T-28 Trojan, maybe simply because of the low wing layout.  I wonder if the T-28 was derived from this earlier design.

The paint job is tremendous especially the hand painted stripes!  Steady hands there and a stunning result.  

I also really like the blast markers, very simple and easy to do but oh so effective.

Great work and I really hope to see more in the future.


34 comments:

  1. I'm sure this little lot will have troops from both sides heading for cover in no time Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most probably... we really should see where stuff lands when they miss!

      Delete
  2. Very nice Dave - love the 'earth shattering KABOOM' markers too, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers .. i have made them go up to 11 hopefully!

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking P47s great work on the invasion stripes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those Thunderbolts! They look too chunky to fly, but they certainly delivered in the Normandy campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s certainly not a looker of an aeroplane.. but it get the job done

      Delete
  5. Aargh...bent resin. THE WORST.

    But excellent work Dave, the suffering was worth it. The effect markers are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those planes are the business

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work Dave, though it sounds like it was a bit of a trial getting the job done. Love the KABOOM markers, but I am very disappointed that you did not record yourself making the appropriate noises when showing them off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. look forward to playing with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may need to make appearance next weekend I think

      Delete
  9. I do find myself enjoying your WW2 excursions almost just as much as your Sudan stuff, the painting on these is top notch Dave! Could you do some Desert stuff next? Camels could be included then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sander, I do have a very large amount of Africa Corps in the lead mountain ... eventually there may well be a diversion to the diversion ... with the Long Range Desert Camel Corps maybe!

      Delete
  10. Brilliant Dave! I‘m sure they‘ll will give those dastardly Germans something to think about... but probably not in their first game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Undoubtedly they allied forces will be having to keep their head down

      Delete
  11. Great looking planes and effects Dave!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, these are fantastic Dave. I remember seeing you working on these during our recent paint-and-chat. Nice build and brushwork - the decals really make them pop. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah indeed , all helped along by chit chat

      Delete
  13. Very well painted planes and the explosion markers are a kill

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful colourful planes, and thanks for sharing the video!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool stuff mate. The explosion markers are awesome and something I want to try my hand at some time.

    ReplyDelete