Saturday 19 January 2019

From Barks- Blackstone minions (40 points)

One of my main projects for this Challenge is to get through Blackstone Fortress. It's a bit of a slog because the figures are very detailed and I can't bring myself to do a quick paintjob. Anyway, here are my first bad guys:

Ur-ghuls are some sort of eyeless predator, with four nostrils. They were pleasantly quick to paint up with some washes. I don't know if they were being very clever with the name or not...

The Spindle Drones are part of the protection of the Blackstone Fortress, almost like an immune system. I'm wondering if GW will release more related figures in future- I'd be surprised if they didn't. They remind me of the excellent Portal turrets.

----------------------------------------
We appear to still be waiting for the stewardess to proceed with liftoff, so your captain Byron is still here filling in, an glad to do so with the amazing posts lined up so far for today!

These are stunning models and paint jobs on them Barks! I had not seen this release before, but will have to check it out.

You have done an amazing job on those Ur-ghuls and and love the subtle shading on them with the blues and purples.  Your painting style is so smooth and flowing, they look great.

Even better though is your job on those spindle drones, which reminded me instantly of the Portal turrets as well.  Your white and shading here is spot on and oh so clean, your making us all jealous!

Great work, and I can not wait to see the rest of the game painted up!

36 comments:

  1. Great minions mate mate - in fact one might suggest those Ur-guls look like a collective self portrait of this years' AHPC Minions...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we all look like that! Super looking monsters but the robots are even better!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superbly creepy ur-ghuls, and the robot minions are excellent as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Barks - and yes, those creepy drones are super cool in particular. It is neat to see all of this "Blackstone Fortress" stuff in this edition of the Challenge...had not really considered that box set, but it seems I might be missing out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s an eclectic collection of 40K stuff.

      Delete
  5. Nice work Barks, I is loving the Robots

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Barks. Four nostrils and no eyes - those Ur-ghuls obviously did double duty in one line and missed out on another altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these do look good Barks, they remind me I still have to start painting my BSF figures, yours are truly an inspiration towards that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work on both the Ur-Ghuls and the spindle thingies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those do indeed look cool Barks!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific work on these, Barks. The Ur-Ghuls are awesome - I can't wait to try my hand at them in the future and hope I can come close to your work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the quickest things to paint from the set.

      Delete
  11. Smashing job! I’m also a huge fan of the ur-ghoul sculpts and I hope you enjoy BSF as much as we are.... it’s one of those games where everything seems to be going well and a careless turn causes wounds everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colours on the UR-Ghuls looks really creepy on my screen. Very nice painting. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing work mate! The Ur-ghuls are superb. I might have to try and snaffle a couple for pulp / Lovecraftian stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Millsy- they are nice generic figures.

      Delete