Saturday 19 January 2019

From EvanH: From the Bestiary (and the Worstiary) - 20 points

Greetings, Challengers and Challenge Fans! I'm back with another couple of beasties for the week.

Let's kick things off with this charming chappie, a Reaper Bones Manticore. The Manticore is one of those monsters popular in medieval bestiaries, an example of what lurks outside the bounds of civilisation. He came with a section of ruined wall to perch on, so I'm not claiming credit for the splendid base.


The Manticore's solitary existence and evil reputation make it one of the sadder beasties in the old AD&D 1st edition Monster Manual. Curiously, it's Lawful Evil, which means it likes rules to be rigorously applied, so it's the perfect stand-in for any DM (solitary, dismal lair, rules lawyer, smells bad, wants to kill PCs... yep, check, check and check!).



The humanoid face of the Manticore, with its undershot jaw, perpetual snarl, and rows of teeth, is one of the more disquieting features of the monster.


I gave him a coat of matt varnish, but he's come out shinier than usual. I can only put this down to the extreme heat currently being experienced here in Sydney; nothing behaves as it should. I'll wait until the next cool change and give it a blast with the old Dullcote.

The base is an 80mm Warbases MDF round, with a couple of Tajima Tufts Desert Diorama Elements to put the icing on the desolate cake. As a large 28mm quadruped, he's probably OK to be scored as a cavalry figure of the same scale, so that's 10 points there.

Next up is another Reaper Bones miniature, who started life as 'The Avatar of Resilience'. I really have no idea what that means. He was basically an anthropomorphic rhino, but I decided to repurpose him as a Broo.

Broos are one of the unnaturally fecund Chaos races of Greg Stafford's Glorantha, the game world of RuneQuest. They are willing (nay, enthusiastic) carriers of disease, and are mostly goat-like in their ancestry, but they can breed with any species, and this one is intended to portray one of the more imposing results.


He stands 55mm tall, and has been converted with the addition a pair of goat horns swiped from a GW beastman skull (for that proper broo look), and a few sores, buboes, and cysts made from green stuff. I also added some extra green stuff to bulk up his gut and give it more of an overhang.


I've tried to give the eye a goatish look as well, with that creepy horizontal pupil.


I've stuck him on a 40mm Warbases round MDF base, and used some of Citadel's Agrellan Earth (one of their technical paint range) to texture it. It dries and cracks to give a lovely arid claypan effect. Tajima Tufts for the finishing touch once again.

He'll definitely be the biggest broo in the gaggle, and his size puts him into the 54mm category, so another 10 points if you'd be so kind, Mr Campbell?

That's all for my regular submissions for this week then - stay tuned!

--------------------------------------

Byron still here for duty, and actually getting a bit concerned over our missing stewardess, I hope things are ok.

What a great pair Evan!  I miss out on the Bones kickstarters and really regret it when seeing some of the great figures from them.  That manticore is awesome looking an you have given him a very menacing look there. Your right on the comment that he is a bit shiny but you will not get any sympathies over your heat wave as it is currently a deep freeze here hitting -28 today!  I think I would deal with shiny figures over the cold any day!

I really like the second figure as well, even though I have never heard of the Broo.  I can see a bit of the goat reference but only due to the horns, the bulk, central horn and heard structure all made me think Rhino and not goat.  I think he is really nice though and love that you tied the goat theme back in with the eye, which really does look like a goat eye.

Nice work and some well earned points.

38 comments:

  1. Awesome couple of models there 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Evan - I like these figures a lot. You took me down memory lane with visits to 1st Edition D&D and Runequest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - I actually took part in the RQ2 reprint Kickstarter, and it did not disappoint. Happy Days...
      : )

      Delete
  3. Thanks Byron, you'll be glad to know that a judicious application of Dullcote fixed the Manticore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, I don't know which one looks more like Ray though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with Fran: no one has done such nice versions of Ray as you, although I will have a crack at that later on. Anyway, your use of textures is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to it Sander.

      Delete
    2. Are there any Werebadger figures out there though?

      Delete
  6. Well done on these fearsome looking chaps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pair of monsters! I've still got some GW runequest adventures knocking around somewhere, great conversion work on your Brooklyn!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monsters are fun, but they're distracting me from the real business of completing warbands and regiments... I'll have to knuckle down and get busy!

      Delete
  8. Really like the basing. Runequest deserves more of an airing than it generally gets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel, good basing can make up for a slightly bodgy figure in my experience.
      ; )

      Delete
    2. Oh, and RQ is back, and with a vengeance...

      https://www.chaosium.com/runequest-glorantha/

      Delete
  9. Lovely stuff, I especially like the Rhino-broo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, I need to get a few more of them, make a proper gang!

      Delete
  10. Wow, what a fabulous pair, brilliant work Ev. I wouldn't what to 'roll them up' as wandering monsters! For me, I think the Rhino nudges the lonely Manticore by a horn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I'm very pleased with how he turned out!

      Delete
  11. Very nice, the manticore is a cracking sculpt and the rhino man is very well done indeed, the skin tone is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bones range can turn up some pretty nice surprises!

      Delete
  12. These are really nice, can't pick a favourite

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, I'm pretty happy with both of them!

      Delete
  13. Nice work! The Rhino reminds me of Gen from Usagi Yojimbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, though I think Gen isn't quite as oozy...

      Delete
  14. Great conversion work mate . The horns are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine running into that in the Big Rubble...
      😳

      Delete