Saturday 2 February 2019

From DavidB: Back again and almost warm (60 points)

I suspect the Snowlord may have pulled some strings as I have spent most of this new year having a lot of fun working and training with Canadian and American military and law enforcement. Simple fun involving surveillance, tracking, pursuit, technology, medical, shooting, and all under the umbrella of winter survival in the great lakes and her forests....and roads!
I couldn't turn down the opportunity as 50 year old grunts seldom get to have that sort of fun. I was disappointed that Canadian Mounties DO NOT wear that cool looking hat and snazzy red jacket all the time especially on tactical missions....though they were disappointed that I didn't wear furs and leathers and gather scalps, Fair enough! ;)

these are a kitbash from defiance games, wargames factory, crossover miniatures and all sorts of random bits from nearly any company I bought miniatures from. I built them and intended to make them as a near future terrorist fire team back in 2012 when I got back from Afghanistan.
Real world events kinda sucked my enthusiasm from working on them so they sat primered for some time.

The bases are resin urban terrain, so I am going to claim some squirrel points for modern near future just to paint the ground they are standing on. I was aiming to paint urban decay and not battlefield damage, so the curb has old and new scuffed yellow paint and the road way and sidewalk has needed repair for sometime.

At least they are finished and I will try to find a modern team to take them down.

This was a freebie bit of laser wood terrain from Adepticon and Mantic Night.

A fast non mettalic metal paint with a bit of weathering and I now have a unique bit of scatter terrain.
I finished up this fellow. A Space marine chaplain is a fearsome opponent and this chaplain just upped the ferocity by donning terminator armor.



The figure is adorned with all kinds of 40k decorations and i really like that pose.
I even like the imperial eagle looking like a "tramp-stamp" on his rear armor plate...just in case the foul, xenos wondered who stomped them!
With the crimson gauntlets and navy shoulder pad, he is allotted to the Crimson Fists.

I was graciously allowed to submit Battle fleet Gothic for the nautical challenge and so I wrapped up this space marine strike cruiser. Carrying a full company of 100 marines and support in addition to ships crew, this is vast like a small city....but tiny in miniature!

The red fist on the panel took a moment to get tolerable. I'm going to invest in some pens paint it red and try again.
I found a solo fighter craft and painted it up too for practise before i tackle the rest
I bought the strike cruiser from a used shop at adepticon and it was only prepped. I like the rod that fits into the flight base which is a novel approach that would've saved me a lot of broken flight  bases.
I have purchased a few models for the killteam game. I can easily field a kill team without new models, but I rather like the distraction of new models!
These are tempest scions...but I'll still call them storm troopers.I really liked the plastic kit and all the details. like this trooper with grenades racked along his backpack. These aren't for him, but are readily available for a teammate to use.
I built the whole squad like a traditional light infantry squad. Here is the teams medic who is armed with a hel-gun and all the other equipment his squad mates have. being the medic he also carries his medical bag. his pockets will be filled with tourniquets, bandages, and other medical supplies he may need fast.

I wish the plasma gun was being fired and not carried, but I gave him the imperious pointy finger of pending doom to compensate.

Commo guys also carry a rifle like the others and all necessary rifleman equipment in addition to the radio. I gave him a pistol and slung his rifle on his backpack. I like his pose the best as he seems to be screaming" DO YOU MIND!? I'M ON THE PHONE!"





This is an ancient warhammer war hound.How Ancient? well, he was painted black over bare metal and mounted on a no longer made hexagon Games Workshop base old.
He is a great companion for the killteam and may see service with an Inquisitor or Imperial Guard force as well.

so points time...
10 28mm infantry at 50points
a space cruiser I'll guess for another 5
a dog for 5
and a sign and small ship for viewing pleasure!


35 points to the gamesworkshop duel
20 to the squirrel challenge
and a hefty 5 for the naval competition


__________________________________________________________________

Well, that's quite a collection! Though I am not so sure you can say anywhere in North America not California is truly warm in this polar vortex. It being 54°F here, perhaps it's time to kick on the fire.

I'm not too keen on the medic laying down fire instead of tending my wounds. But, shrug, not too keen on getting shot (again) and thus needing his attentions more.

Using the Snowlord's formulation, the dog would be rated as a 15mm infantryman, at 2 points. Conversely, I'd say Battlefleet Gothic ships, especially cruisers, are closer to 15mm vehicles. So it all evens out to 60 points.

Remember to email the Duels Wallah what goes to what duels. He's getting a mite testy and has been seen practicing with his spring-loaded matched dueling pistols, waiting to challenge any who ruins his finely crafted spreadsheets!

10 comments:

  1. Great work Dave I do like the Ronnie & the Mantics sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good varied entry Dave and happy to see that us fifty-ers are still usable ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great entry David. Warmth is greatly over rated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely mixed entry! Love the roadside sign and the Chaplin!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Dave - points bombardment resumes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very productive. Great bunch of nicely painted stuff. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice batch of goodness!

    ReplyDelete