Saturday 2 February 2019

From DavidB: Dogs of war (228 points)

Swimming and rubber fast boating in the great lakes only to head back home to -50 degree F...I was thinking all about wolves.
My first painted marines were inspired from the graphics of the old RTB100 or the space marine beakie plastic set. I had 10 man squads from most of the chapters with crimson fists and spacewolves getting further 10 man squads as my collection grew.
I bought a lot of the Ragnar Blackmane wolves over 18years ago. I thought I had them all painted in the white grey colours, but then again they were being painted while my daughter Valerie was due at any moment on a cold December day. With the holidays, birth, and trials of new parents, space wolves were not high on the priority.



A friend gave me a large collection of 13th company Space wolves and I spent the summer fixing them and adding bits to make them more spacewolf. I also repurposed some f my old space wolves to 13th company and discovered that maybe only 3 squads were painted with the majority just painted in grey primer.

I did find all my old space wolf decals and surprisingly even the old RT  ones still worked.
the 13th company has heresy war dark grey armour and some work was needed to make the decals pop. My red paint also acts peculiar over decals and varnish which gave an interesting blood red colour.

Since he just used traditional marine bikers, I added wolf pelts, icons and even modified Skaven shield icons to wolf them up a bit from traditional Space Marines.


I bought these over the summer as they are an improvement over the goblin wolf mounts of the past. these are probably my favourite models to paint this challenge and the detail on them is fantastic!




these fellows are going to get a lot of use from other games besides 40k

Some old Rogue Trader marines in Ragnar colors. these will be Wolf guard used to lead spacewolf squads or act as bodyguards for characters. Yes that is a conversion beamer and he was a blue ultra marine before I made him jump in with the space wolves.



space wolf scouts are elite and with my latest codex from 40k 7th, 4 man squads.
These are my favourite sculpts as the old metal is the best. the 2nd generation was too thin to be marine and the 3rd generation looked too much like young marines to be old cranky, grizzled space wolf scouts. Model to the front has now been painted 3 times and was previously a ultra marine, then blood angel before a  hobby knife removed the laspistol and replaced it with a plasma gun so he could be the special weapon trooper for the squad.





The 13th company have no recruits. they are all veteran and tough with the red slayers being the toughest of the tough. Red slayers are honed close combat warriors relying on the grey slayers and long fangs for fire support while they close in. This bunch is designated for bodyguard duty for characters.

The 13th company have been prowling the realms of chaos hunting the traitor marines so they replace damaged wargear with items retrieved from their foes. Hence the black, red and blue armor bits. I doubt they would use nurgle marine gear...I think that is just burned as nobody has the time to clean that correctly!

I used the great wolf himself to be the leader of my 13th company. He is the only one with terminator armor.



He is mounted on a ruined temple base from coolminiornot. It was a freebie as basing an army entirely on those bases is almost as much as a new army!

a slightly blurry photo of my second strike cruiser.

painting a black wolf head on a small yellow disk was much easier than a red  fist!


so 8 bikers for 80 points(three unbased at -6points?) 74
5 fenrisian wolves(bigger than dire wolves) 25
17 sons of Russ   85 points
and one cruiser for 5
189 points which will also go to the Games workshop challenge and 5 points which gives me a nice but solid total of 10 points in the navy challenge. i may be last there, as the ships Ive been seeing are quite numerous, but extremely well done!

__________________________________________________________________

And more! 

I agree with the rating of bikes as vehicles. However, upon close examination, the unbased bikes do not appear to have integral bases, so they do not suffer the dreaded unbased penalty. So 80 points there. Per the Snowlord Conversions, which sure are getting a lot of use this week, dire wolves count as 40mm infantry, so 7 points per, or 35 in total. The Sons of Russ score you another 85, and the cruiser is 8, for a total of 228 points on the board!

7 comments:

  1. Excellent looking figures Dave. Love the wolves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work David, you're pumping it out this week. I do love those wolves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your space wolves, crimson fists and space wolves are the only loyalist space marine armies I have, the scouts are great and the dire wolves are really smart!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great stuff. Love those wolves though. Great animation in the pose and they look awesome. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the loping wolves, and the bike swarm is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a Dark Angel I should probably challenge you to some kind of honour-duel but these are very very good so I will just lift my hat to you dear sir well done

    ReplyDelete