Saturday 23 February 2019

From JamieM: Corsairs, Necrons and yet more Ur-Ghuls (231 points)

It's been a couple of weeks without posting, but I have been rather busy.... just for one reason or another I haven't gotten around to posting, so it's a bit of a points grenade chucked over the sandbags for me today.

First up, Dark Elf Corsairs, or Scourge Privateers, depending on which version of the GW IP you favour.....

These chaps are destined to join a unit of twenty that I've had for yonks, to make them a (hopefully) scary unit of 40, so no banner for this lot as I've already got one.

The fluff is that they sail the grim seas of the Old World....errr.... whatever realm of the fairly random story GW have invented for the new Age of Sigmar ruleset.  Mine are unashamedly on square bases to keep them in line with the other 20 I mentioned above.

GW once again annoy PETA by having more pelts (Scales? Skin?) from what must have been a scary sea creature and not just the Trout they caught down the local fishing haunt.

To lead these chaps are two Privateer captains.  Golden Mask is the old metal model (and a lovely one he is too) and his somewhat oversculpted first mate who has a sword as a peg leg, a haircut to make any 80's New Romantics band green with envy and a massive jawbone around his neck (seriously GW?!?!?) is the newer plastic version.

They share the same fetish for scaly cloaks and probably say "Arrrrrr" and "me Jim Lad" and seek out pieces of eight wherever they be found.......



That's quite enough pirating, so it's off to the 41st Millenium for the next lot..... fist up, 10 Immortals with Gauss Blasters.

I deliberately chose a nice, classic and simple scheme for my Necrons in the hopes it'd get an army on the tabletop in good time.  It's pretty much worked as the dudes posted today are almost all of what I have left to paint for this army.

These are the old metal bodies with the new plastic arms grafted on as the new weapons are soooooo superior to the old ones.  One of the things I really do like about GW's plastic kits is the way you normally get two or three weapon or unit options in each box and so there are some brilliant spare weapons/heads/other bits hanging around.  I took advantage of this with these as the boxes I bought made new Immortals with the other weapon option and had the spare weapons for these chaps.


A couple of close ups.....
And some leaders for them too.  I tried to get a very different and vibrant colour for the cloth as this'll make sure my enemy can find and eliminate them nice and quickly should they wish to.


Another shot with more royal red/purple tattered robes on show.

This last one is a bit of a beast.... Whenever I go to Warhammer world (about once or twice a year) I like to try to treat myself.  As Forgeworld shipping prices are eye watering, I sometimes give in to temptation and get myself something from their shop.  This was the result of one such trip....
This loveable fellow is a Canoptek Tomb Sentinel and comes in lots and lots of little pieces - each segment of the body is separate, as is each leg, feelers, etc. so you can imagine that it was quite good "fun" to build!
Having managed to not throw is across the room in frustration a number of times, I did like the articulation that you can get into it (and I only made two build mistakes which I spotted afterwards and thankfully neither ruined the model!)
This is a close up of his cheerful little face and a top down view of his shiny top
He's a bit of a big chap (scale pic with a lord below) and I think he hangs around the Necron tomb worlds, welcoming intruders with a big zap to the face.  In game it appears he can burrow up from the ground wherever he likes, so there's that to look forward to.

The last of my Necrons are these three snakey looking things, known as Wraiths.
Lovely fun models to put together and quite the feat of plastic engineering by GW
Lots of nice details to pick out and they scoot rather quickly across the battlefield ahead of their rather slower moving infantry friends who are a little slower.

And last, but not least, four more Ur-Ghuls from the Blackstone Fortress boxed set.  I so enjoyed painting the first four that I did that I decided I wanted some more to base up for my Drukhari/Dark Eldar army for 40k and so a quick order on ebay, some paint slapped around and hey presto!
The blood puddles on a couple of the bases were absolutely planned all along and are most definitely not a bodge job after I got too impatient and didn't let the basing dry before trying to finish it......

Anyway, a big old submission and I make it 38 x 28mm infantry (190 points), 3 x 40mm infantry (21 points) and perhaps 15-20 points for the big chap given he's about vehicle sized? A total of 231 if my maths works.  These all count towards my "Evil Empire" GW painting duel too and it'll time for something very different next post.....

************

What a great looking and eclectic mix of figures here! 

I like the Dark Elves as well, and will never change to GW's new proprietary names (invented purely so they could legally restrict / control their use and to confuse / annoy us old timers), I have never been a big fan of the models BUT if Peta has issues with them they may just become my favourite models of all time!!!

The Necrons look great with the basic necron paint scheme, while as you say it is basic it is also super effective and there is no reason to mess with a classic look!

My favourite though has to be the necron centipede creature.  It reminds me I have 3 of them sitting in the pile-o-shame from probably 6+ years ago!   Yours looks awesome and is the piece here that draws my attention.

- Byron


8 comments:

  1. Great looking dark elves and your necrons are fab!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a rather nice selection of wonderful miniatures Jamie. I have to agree with you on the new Privateer Captain - gosh that sculpt is a tad overwrought. The stars have to be that Tomb Sentinel and Wraiths. Super creepy yet very cool models. Lovely work Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incoming POINTS GRENADE!
    My goodness Jamie...so, what GW figure can I paint for you?
    Great work. And congratulations on sticking it out to complete that Forge World model. Nearly the entire Forge World experience can be "eye-watering", but the results are worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on all your minis. I love the golden masked captain, it just goes to show that newer isn't always better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Lot's of painted stuff. Well done. The Dark Pirate Elves are perfect Twilight Kin for Kings of War. Great stuff. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! That sentinel is impressive.

    ReplyDelete