Saturday 23 February 2019

From ByronM: 15mm 30 Years War Swedish Pikemen (30 points)

A quick little post today to at least put something up.  While I have been having fun with theme week entries, my general painting output has really been low this year as real life and work have intervened, leaving me just not feeling it as much as most years.  Hopefully that will change when I am off in a week and can take some time so sit and paint and hopefully get in the groove and meet my goal for the year.

Anyway onto the post for today, here is a small unit of 30 years war Swedish Pikemen. 


As mentioned in a previous post, even though I am doing these to play 'By Fire and Sword' with, I am changing the basing a bit to fit my own aesthetic ideas.  So the bases are 10mm wider than their normal and 10mm deeper as well.  They require only 3 figures per base, but I felt that 3 musketeers looked too cramped, and felt that only 3 pikemen didn't look right.  So, I am basing with 3 musketeers per base still which allows it to look like they had some room, but I am doing 5-7 pikemen per base to make them look more like a block.


Again I have tried to imitate Greg's style, but am still disappointed a bit with the result.  I keep trying to use subtle shade differences, and I know I have to go with harsher differences, it's just against my normal style, so am struggling with it.  The figures turned out ok, there is nothing "wrong" with them, they are just no where near what I know is possible, and what Greg gets from his 15mm figs.

______________________________________

Your reservations aside, I think these look terrific Byron. Though I think 15mm figures often lend themselves to a more high-contrast approach, I think your work here is excellent. I especially like your larger basing scheme though I must admit that, personally, I'd cram more figures per base, but that's just me. Question: Are you adding banners to these units later? These lads need some Swedish colours or at least some IKEA cargo totes. :)

- Curt


7 comments: