Friday 1 February 2019

From PeteF: Sam-mew-rai Warband (30 points)

Almost 2 years ago I was introduced to Warlord's Test of Honour at a gaming convention. The game's host put in a ton of effort that added atmosphere and enjoyment to the game - flickering tealights in the buildings, coloured stones in a rice bowl for activations (instead of cardboard counters in a bag), beautiful Japanese buildings and he gifted a professionally painted samurai figure to participants.

I was hooked - and even though I had no opponent a Test of Honour box was on its way to my gaming table to my Shelf of Shame, where it resided until the beginning of Challenge IX. My cunning plan was to persuade my son to be my opponent (as I write an anguished cry of "How many rules ARE there????" emanates from the living room) by painting up a clan with a theme around something he likes. And he likes cats - this one in particular, who serves as inspurration for the colour scheme.



Anyway - here is the beginnings of an Imagi-Nation Cat Clan unknown to actual hisstory.



Their boss, a fearsome Samewrai, is armed with a deadly Catana.

Scratch Built


These purrfectly poised Ashigarmew (that's enough! Ed) are three to a base and operate as a team.



The starter warband is rounded out by a pair of bow armed Ashigaru.

Bowmen paws for a shot at their enemies


Normally I get the Osprey, ask questions online and count buttons so it was a fun departure to paint something ahistorical. I discovered that Samurai only armoured up for big battles - so in any case the idea of a skirmish between armoured Samurai clans is unrealistic - a skirmish between the Cat Clan and their yet to be painted mortal enemies (ideas for a theme welcomed) doubly so.

The "loyal spearman" are Furmidable Opponents


We'll see how the teenager's introduction to a skirmish game goes. I fear Fortnite is too much competition. I noticed that Test of Honour is on Warlord's clearance list so maybe the game didn't catch on - there is always Osprey's Ronin  to fall back on - it looks like an interesting ruleset.

In case you think painting a few cat mons is a bit eccentric then consider civil war tails - a gettysburg diorama in which the soldiers are cats.

In their first game they lost by a whisker and the leader needed the first aid kit


6 x 28mm infantry (all from Warlord/Wargames Factory) for 30 points and 1 squirrel point for Sam-mew-rai (I said ENOUGH).



__________________________________________________________________

Samurai miniatures have always fascinated me, though I fear I lack the patience for all the intricate work the armor entails. Even the slashes and puffs of Landsknechts are a bit much for me. A samurai skirmish game sounds interesting, though I wonder if they lack the visual appeal you get en masse.

Speaking of crewel and unusual punnishment . . .  

Bosun, trice up the gratings, get the cat o' nine tails out of the bag, call all Challengers to the mast to witness punishment!


I said a cat o' nine tails, not a fluffy fox! Who do you think you are, Bosun? The Spanish Inquisition and their comfy chairs?  

Very well, give that man thirty points, and put your back into it!







19 comments:

  1. That blue color is strking. The foe of the Cat Clan would have to be the Dog clan right? or Maybe the Mouse Clan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the dog clan. Then he can get the Bushidoge and Shogun Meow from Bad Squiddo as the clan mascots :)

      Delete
    2. The Mon could be a pawprint... but aren't dogs too obvious? On the other hand I love the Bad Squiddo stuff.

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the felines Pete :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the Stephen Turnbull Osprey books also have a historical example of a sashimono of a "giant radish" part of Uesugi Kenshin's forces if you wanted to develop more a vegetable vibe!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and cats hate vegetables.... as well as hair balls, vaccuum cleaners, vets and pills.

      Delete
  4. Great post Pete. I have 'Test of Honour' and 'Ronin', but actually prefer 'Daisho' from The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare. The combat system is excellent and I like how it easily scales if you want to include any of the mythical elements from Japanese folktales.

    https://meeples.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/review-daisho/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt - Daisho looks interesting. I'll check it out. Maybe the possibility of magic will bring my boy back to the table after the dice conspired to cause him to dislike wargaming even more when we played!

      Delete
  5. Pete - when I saw the title, I was perplexed, but this was a very fun read. And the brushwork is excellent! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Pete and great fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fun, always fancied samurai, maybe after landsknechts!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done and good luck with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grand job, Pete!
    That is a nice blue you selected and very good work on the cat theme too. ;)
    I have been looking at test of honor as it seemed a good mix of rules and minis in the base game. I've played it twice at adepticon. Just waiting for Paul Sawyer to be there so I can get an autographed copy (yep I'm a dork) maybe this year if they bring it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Test of Honour is moving over to Footsore Miniatures or whatever they are calling themselves after their recent merger. I'm not familiar with the system, but I do play Ronin from time to time. Combat uses a bidding system where fighters can get extra attacks, block or increase their chances of hitting. It's a fun game.

    For your inFURmation, the Japanese word for cats is "Neko" and the sound they make is "Nyan" or "Nyao".

    Great work on your Samurai and his followers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cat's out of the bag on this project - great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful colours on your neko!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That colourscheme is downright inspiring

    ReplyDelete