Friday 1 March 2019

From DavidB: Something epic (248 points)

These have been a long time coming. Space Marine and Adeptus Titanicus are the first Games Workshop games I ever played. I had lots of games with these very pieces in the 80's and early 90's both games were first editions and although the boxes are relatively intact and tokens are used, it still sees the gaming table every now again. I'd like to add to what I have, but with the game OOP, collectors have driven prices up sharply. It's also take a long time to paint just this portion as the figures have always seemed more board game than wargame and I'm not comfortable painting such tiny forces.

a chaplain, commander, and librarian with attendant rhino APC

3rd company tactical squads with rhino APC. took longer to paint those shoulder pads than I wished.

Six squads for another tactical detachment from the 7th company.

some surplus figures painted as veteran. since all the models are the same, I can use the color difference to have these as assault, veteran, or devastator upgrades to the two tactical companies

one squadron of land raiders with bone colored doors.

The other squadron has a banner to denote the lead Vic

Thanks must be given to Sylvain who sent me these land speeders in Dark Angel colours. They have been lonely without the entourage behind them.

Simple clunky Titan models and my introduction to Games Workshop fluff. It took a bit of work to liven up these old warriors, but at least now it'll be quite a bit of fun to jump back in Horus Heresy combat with models in appropriate colours.

To add detail I used Ad-mech and spare transfers from the bit box. Since Titans are Ad-mech hot rods, I  coated them with varnish over the armour to hold the decals in place.

The dark Angel force is in transition from the 30k black and red to 40k dark green while I imagine this particular titan group is slowly accumulating personal heraldry for their machines.

My kids love the old card and foam buildings, I'll have to see about sprucing them up at some point too.


The confusion and betrayal of the Horus Heresy is tragic and compelling reading. I like the stories of Ad-mech infantry setting upon marines just because of miscommunication and distrust due to traitor acts of sabotage and subterfuge. Although a smaller force, the sudden strikes, ambushes, and infiltration of cults like the dark mechanicus really evened up the sides and still provides great stories to read. One of my daughters has been reading on the Heresy(when she should be doing school work!)
I'm uncertain on the titans so.... maybe 5 points each for 15?
16 rhinos and 8 land raiders for 48 points
160 tiny marines for 80 points
143 points
some more tally for the squirrel and the evil empire, but back to larger scale forces before eye strain gets me!

__________________________________________________________________

Just in case the Black Squadron didn't give you the message, we now have the actual demolition troopers themselves! Well, maybe not. But still impressive anyway.

Consulting through the Book of Analogue, Chapter 2019, verse 16JAN, the Snowlord hath decreed that an Adepticus Titanicus is the equivalent of two 28mm vehicles, which puts them at 40 points apiece. 

All told, that gives you a planet-demolishing 248 points, or more points that I get in most challenges!






13 comments:

  1. David you're a DA player too, great! As are your forces, lovely painting mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sander! I have several marine armies each taking on a theme. Space wolves and Dark Angels are my oldest forces. I'm on my 3rd Dark Angel Army for 40k if I count the repaint from the classic black.

      Delete
  2. An epic contribution. Really like the titans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noel! I'd like to get the new ones or even the older models if I can get a decent price. I do like the classic look.

      Delete
  3. Great looking epic force!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool stuff - a classic looking force - even the old school square bases with a flag! Now THAT is true OOP commitment. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just retrieving my jaw from the floor here... this is a helluva force, and so beautifully painted! Well done, mate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an old school Dark Angels player in Epic's 2nd edition, I applaud and admire this submission David! And square bases with flags is the ONLY way to go :-)

    Lovely Titans too - that blue and white colour scheme is most striking

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dark Angels were my first Epic army too- not nearly as nicely painted. I haven’t seen the beetle-backed Warlord for far too long.

    ReplyDelete