Friday 8 March 2019

From EricM: Napoleonic British and French Infantry

I have been pushing hard to make a good run toward the end of the challenge.  The last two weeks I have been finishing up the last of the infantry for our Cold Wars game.

First up is the Kings German Legion.   The figures are all by Front Rank, lovely as always.





I made a few mistakes with this project.  First, I individually based everything... bad idea.  I have movement trays for them but they just don't work as well as multi figure bases.  Second mistake was buying troops in a firing pose.  I like the look but they just don't rank up as well as marching.
The individually based figures lets me move the figures around a bit to fit in but it looks messy.





The second unit I was able to complete was a jump back to the Perry brothers campaign dressed British.  I love the ragged look but as nice as they are I always feel like there is something more I could do .  Time has become a real issue for me, so I had to force myself to move on

Since time has become the major consideration, also took the short cut of printing the flags.  Thank you Warflag.com

Those two units complete my portion of the British infantry.

I was also able to finish up the last of the French Infantry.  This unit is Front Rank in great coats and shako covers.  I love the figutres but it feels like cheating skiping all the lace and other color.  These guys painted very quickly.

Again I called on warflag.com for a printed french flag.  I feel a little dirty but no one but me would ever notice.   You may notice the sapper in the front rank and the enthusiastic fellow in the second rank.  I miss counted when I made my purchase so I was forced to improvise. I really love the color you can add to French units.

Here are some close up of the flank companies. 

Lastly, I finished up a few odd figures to complete other units.  I was able to work in another sapper, I really need to use a spreadsheet next time I plan a project like this
Its been a productive two weeks.  I have two squadrons of cavalry and some officers to finish in the next week.  I think it can happen!...maybe

In total I completed 79 28mm foot.

__________________________________________________________________

Well, one entry that has no French in it and the punters get a mite twitchy. Fortunately, Eric here will provide you your fix!

I absolutely agree on firing pose miniatures. Absolutely essential for skirmish games, but it makes things very hard to rank up for games where units are 30-40. And I commiserate on the single bases.

But it was worth it, lobbing a 395 point bomb into the rankings. Damn your eyes and well done, sah!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, tremendous work Eric! Lovely looking Napoleonics, I especially like the chaps in the greatcoats. I'm with Robert on the single bases. They're great for skirmish games but will drive you nuts with rules that are battalion level or higher. There's always sabots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some awesome Napoleonics, with the Redcoats being my favourites of the bunch. Well done Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic looking Napoleonics! They look great and so do the flags. No need for regrets, wonderful units!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, I'm a great fan of using great-coated infantry so that I don't have to fiddle with the lace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work and commiserations on the single fig bases! I’m a big fan of Warflags, its a tremendous free resource. Yours came out nicely

    ReplyDelete