Friday 8 March 2019

From PaulSS: Poilu at Verdun (46 points)


On the run up to my vacation I ran out of Hundred Years War figures to paint, Oh the horror! However a swift order to Arcane Scenery did remedy that and on the day before I went on vacation I had another couple of boxes of Perry Agincourt arrive.

With no Hundred Years War to paint it was time to clear some of the lead mountain and earn myself another point in the squirrel duel, so I dug out the last nine Brigade Games WWI French infantry from the order I had in 2018 and got to work on those in the meanwhile.


Most of my WWI collection is from the Gripping Beast "Woodbine Designs" range but the Brigade Games stuff does mix in well. There are two distinct sculptors on the Brigade Games range though, the hands and faces on some of the figures show this up the most.

The first group is five riflemen three are mounted individually and the remaining two as a pair.



The Horizon Bleu recipe I use is based on a 'Bondi Blue' paint from a very old Gripping Beast paint set, unfortunately they don't seem to do it any more and I am still looking for a good match, although with plenty enough French for my games I'm not really sure if I need much more.

In this order I went a bit mad on ordering Chauchat teams, and this painting session saw another two completed.


I tried to capture the 'blasted ground' of the Verdun battlefield on the bases. The remnants of barbed wire entanglements are sealing wire wrapped around cocktail sticks and the groundwork is pumice gel is mixed into a paste with grit and static grass and then some Vallejo Flat Earth is stirred in and the gooey mess is slathered all over the base.


These nine figures should contribute 45 points to my score and also give me another point in the Squirrel duel.

Normal Hundred Years War service shall be shortly resumed, my pavise transfers arrived from LBMS  so I can complete that unit and during the vacation I assembled about 70 of the Perry Miniatures plastics.



_____________________________________________

And now Paul breaks out the emergency reserve French, held for just this contingency.

I am rather fond of Brigade Games sculpts, and they are my go to for all things Northstar as well.

45 points for the figures, and a point for the basing on the Chauchats. And . . . Squirrel!

22 comments:

  1. Nice painting and basing Paul :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work one of my favorite uniforms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Paul. Verdun in WW1 is so fascinating and exotic from a wargaming perspective - from the the blue, to the terrain needed, I am far too intimidated to attempt it myself, but it is very cool to see the efforts of others.

    Man...how you keep that figure assembly space so clean? I keep telling my wife that everyone that does this hobby makes a big mess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Grey. That isn't my workspace, it's the kitchen counter of the AirBnB that we took our vacation at. We were only there three days so I did not get the opportunity to turn it into a 'just like home' shit-hole ;)

      Delete
  4. Lovely pilous! Great blue and lovely basing, really nice finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent additions to your collection! Looking forward to see them featured in one of your excellent AAR‘s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've not been writing many AAR of late. I must get back into the habit.

      Delete
  6. Top-notch work, Paul, both in painting and basing. Splendid stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant work Paul, the advancing chauchat team is my favourite of the bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are very well done, I like the "vignette aproach". Painting and basing are very evocative. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice looking figures Paul. The blue with the gas masks is quite a creepy combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some fine looking French Paul!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely horizon blue, and I like the extra base details.

    ReplyDelete