Saturday 23 March 2019

From TamsinP: My Humble AHPC9 Efforts

Phew! Thank goodness it's all over! Rather than wait a few days so that I'd forget where I'd squirreled everything away, I decided to do my group pics a few hours after the Challenge finished. However, on reviewing the pics and my posts, I realise that I did forget six bases of Mongol cavalry!

I'll start you with a decent pic showing everything that got painted:


And then a not so good one with me in it:


The camera must have tilted a bit when I pressed the button before rushing to kneel down behind the table before the timer counted down. The trouble with living on your own is there is nobody to take pics of you with your glorious collection of recently painted minis.

And now some pics of individual groups:

Stronty Dogs, Waffen SS, Kra'Vak

Ming Chinese

Mongols (missing 6 cavalry bases)

SYW Russians

Pulp, Gladiators, Young Ones, the Lady Sarah

Santa Mondega's worst

Fenrisians and light snacks

28mm and 15mm WW2 Soviets

Early WW2 Aussies

I've also done a bit of maths to work out how my scoring splits up:

Bonus Rounds - 275
Curtgeld - 20
Other Bonuses* - 29**
28mm - 1452
15mm - 1650
Total -=3426

*Flags, random generosity from minions
** I've deducted the 37 bonus points Lee added for the Stronty Dog figures and included them in the 28mm total

Crikey! 3102 points of painted figures, vehicles and terrain in 3 months! That's a 22% increase over my previous best 2522 points from AHPC5 (which was 15 weeks rather than 13!). Taking my score with bonuses, it's a 36% increase; adjust that for the 13 vs 15 weeks and it's a whopping 57%.

It's also my highest placing (I was 5th in AHPC6 with my lowest total out of 6 Challenges).

Breaking things down further:

28mm
Foot - 258 + 3 small crewed weapons/bits scored as foot
mounted - 0
Crewed weapons - 1
Vehicles -1
Terrain - 4 cubes* (I've included the Lady Sarah as terrain although it was scored as 2 vehicles)

* for the Challenge  a terrain "cube" is 6" x 6" x 6"

15mm
Foot - 535 + 4 small crewed weapons scored as foot
Mounted - 114
Crewed weapons - 27
Vehicles - 1


This was, I believe, my closest ratio between 15mm and 28mm outputs. I could quite easily have skewed things very heavily to 28mm if I had focused on my Wars of the Roses project. But I didn't, largely because I kept being intimidated by the number of figures. I think they will be a project for April. I might have worked out how I will do their basing by then as well.


I think this may be the first time that I have had an entry in all five bonus rounds. That was mostly because I already had something in the paint queue which would fit each theme (OK, one was a bit of a stretch!).


Aside from my placing and output, I  am quite happy to say that this has been the best Challenge that I've taken part in. It's been great fun seeing everybody's entries over the three months and commenting on them. The AHPC does bring out the best in all of us, and this year's Fellowship theme was very fitting.


Once again, a huge thanks to Curt for organising this extravaganza and to Lady Sarah for allowing him to do so.

18 comments:

  1. Well done Tamsin, that's quite an achievement. The Challenge brings out the best in the participants and this year was no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of figures! Very well done Tamsin! It's great being that focused and to be able to produce that many figures in just 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Jon Tamsin - 3,426 points of such superbly painted stuff is a most impressive achievement. I also applaud your liberal use of numbers and statistics in your summary posts. Yes, the gods of math-halla are certainly jovial tonight!

    I do beg to differ on one point - I think the picture with you and your minions looks grand -the slightly off kilter angle is very 1960's batman like so extra points for being avant guard in your photography skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had a really impressive challenge in terms of quantity and quality with additional minioning on top! I really liked your vegas crew and your pulp figures were excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Painting, minioning, painting again, you are the epitome of the challenge. I've enjoyed watching your Russian and Australian forces grow at an incredible speed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, that is an amazing amount of work to have rattled through in 3 months - congratulations Tamsin! I think my favourites of all your excellent projects were the Pulp figures. I loved those. Have a great time at Salute, and I look forward to hearing how your transition out of London goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done a great Challenge this year... again. I can't really understand where you get the time to paint with such a high quality, act as a minion, eat, sleep... My warmest congratulation Tamsin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Top shelf work, Tamsin, you played a helluva game this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mind bogglingly impressive output Tamsin - hearty congratulations on your very fine achievements this Season! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic output Tamsin, I especially liked the Aussie Troops and the Pulp stuff, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tremendous, machine-like output as always Tamsin, you continue to set the standard! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some very impressive work here Tamsin: numbers, quality, variety. And on top of minioning, too. I shall continue to check in to your blog. Your brilliantly quirky humour and your love of story-telling (whether it's facts about Aussie troops or flights of fancy whilst air-hostessing) make me smile every time I read your stuff. See you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed following your progress Tamsin. And as always I was stunned by your tremendous output while keeping a consistently high standard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Lee - cheers! It took a lot of work, but I got there! :)

    @ Ray - thanks! Focused? Hardly - 13 squirrels and a few other small groups :)

    @ Miles - cheers! "Great Jon"? That's my living room, not my loo! I'm actually beginning to wonder if the tilt wasn't down to the camera but caused by all that lead to my left outweighing the plastics to my right... :)

    @ Iain - thanks! ~I had fun painting those figures :)

    @ Stuart - cheers! I only did three bursts of minioning though :)

    @ Curt - thanks! Will do! :)

    @ Benito - cheers! As for time, it's quite simple - single, not working, no social life... :)

    @ Evan - thanks! I think this year will be my highest output - I can't really do more without dropping the quality :)

    @ Barks - cheers! :)

    @ Paul O'G - thanks! :)

    @ Ken - cheers! :0

    @ Greg - thanks! But please don't feed the "Tamsin is a machine" rumour ;)

    @ Noel - cheers! Glad you've enjoyed my posts :)

    @ Nick - thanks! I intend to keep the quality up, even if not the output :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is hard to take pictures of yourself when living alone, but then there is so much more room for those painted miniatures, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a grande collection of awesome stuff you've painted up this Challenge Tamsin! Thanks for sharing all this with us as well as all your kind and humorous remarks and feedback. I do hope to see you again next Challenge!

    ReplyDelete