Monday 27 January 2020

From AdamC: Quasi-War Ships Constellation and Sloop (30 Points)


More Black Seas a frigate and an armed sloop.  The sloop (not to be confused with a sloop-of-war) was built using guidance from the "Too Many Brigs" by fellow challenger Guy Bowers.


First up the USS Constellation one of the "Original Six" American Frigates  One of the three smaller 38 gun ships (originally rated 36) and saw as much or more action as any US Frigate in the Quasi-War taking the L'Insurgente in a single ship action.  She later battled La Vengeance to a draw.  Her nick name "Yankee Race Horse" was apparently given by the French who were impressed with her speed (given that the French were known for building fast ships this is a compliment).


Detail shot of her stern gallery. I'm pretty happy with with the over all results.  I arranged the flag so I can change her allegiance if needed.  


Between the Frigates and Brig set and the Master and Commander sets I have lots of brigs so it made sense see how I could use some of them and as I mention above Guy Bowers' had some suggestions. I decided to make a single masted sloop. It can work as a merchant, privateer or letter of mark.


She might also serve as a revenue cutter. She carries 12 guns and should be prefect for representing smaller ships used by both sides of the Quasi-War.  


Points we've scored frigates previously as 18 points I think the cutter though smaller than a brig should be scored the same as brig because of the extra knife and glue work that is to say 10 points. Both ships have two flags and flags usually result in an extra point or two I'll call these 30 points in all.

***

More great "Black Seas" content! Well done Adam. I love playing games with sailing ships, but can only play games with sailing ships when others do all of the hard work of preparing the model sailing ships - so great job! Hopefully one of the members of our group here in Winnipeg jumps on this...

GregB

12 comments:

  1. Thanks Greg I can understand your reluctance to take on building and rigging the ships

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great results here Adam - keep up the good work.

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the ships Adam :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent ships Adam and nice conversion work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter I've got some more conversions going

      Delete
  4. Really nice work, Adam. I particularly admire the sloop - I followed Guy's approach, too, but ended up with more of a slop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feared I might end up with Slop once or twice in the process and when you get realy close on the sloops you can see some seams but it looks good from a foot or two away.

      Delete
  5. Great looking frigate and nice conversion work on the sloop!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work.... how anyone does the rigging on those ships astonishes me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amy not look like it but my version is a very quick and simple version... because I can hold handle so much. It probably helps that I have experience sewing.

      Delete