Monday 27 January 2020

From EvanH: Fertility Goddess (and a trip in Lady Sarah's Balloon!) (40 Points)

Well, this is probably a turn-up for the books; two submissions in as many days! I'm currently becalmed at Millsy's Millpond, but have need of transport via the miracle of hot-air balloon technology. So, in accordance with Lady Sarah's wishes, I submit a female figure by way of a fare for travel.


This charming little vignette comes to us courtesy of Reaper Miniatures. It's sold as a 'Fertility Idol', and is a pretty accurate copy of the famous Paleolithic statuette, the Venus of Willendorf. The original limestone Venus is about 100mm tall, but as this is a 28mm figure, her height of 60mm from head to toe translates to over three metres on the tabletop. She's a significant figure!


I painted her starting with a basecoat of the old Citadel Foundation range's Orkhide Shade, a very dense, almost blue-green. I worked this up through successively lighter shades to give the impression of greenstone, a suitable material for an earth goddess' statue.


The plinth for the statue was glued to a Warbases 80mm MDF round base and painted up as red sandstone. The surrounding area was textured with sand, and painted in earth tones. The bowls of offerings were painted in various colours, with simple patterns added for contrast.


Not sure if she's going to see much tabletop action, since My Good Lady Wife is such a fan that she wants to put it on display in the lounge room with the other decorative figurines!


This closer view shows the Tajima1 Tufts which finish off the base (excellent product, highly recommended), as well as the assorted fruit and veggies left for the Goddess. I really like the level of detail on this sculpt. The model was a lot of fun to put together and paint; she could do with a few worshippers though, so I'll see what's lurking in the Garage of Shame.

Now, to the matter of points; she's a big lass, taller than 54mm, but way less detailed than most sculpts of this size, so 10 points seems fair. 30 points for hailing Lady Sarah's Balloon (and I believe a little drinkie is in order...).


Next stop, Awdry's Atoll!

Stay Tuned...

Ev
_________________________________________________________

***
Nicely done Evan - the colourful groundwork and offering bowls are such nice accents to this unique piece. I haven't had any caffeine yet, so I'm in no position to argue about points - 40 points sounds right to me, and I've no doubt the Lady Sarah will soon be along to help you escape from Millsy's Millpond. 

GregB

31 comments:

  1. Nice idol! Shouldn't you get extra points for the bubbly? ( or alcoholic substitute)
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I think it's a case of Champagne tastes and beer money!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome, Ev. I really like the verdigris/greenstone effect and those offering bowls are inspired, really genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun painting the base, despite a number of slip-ups when doing the patterns - I'm happy with the finished product, but most importantly, Claire is happy with Ms Venus!

      Delete
  3. Before becoming a mother I was an archaeologist and I totally love this figure. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - granted, she's a bit bigger than the original!

      Delete
  4. Damn Evan, I am now actually considering to nick this idea to use in classroom to explain how this figure was used. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander - praise indeed! Just remember that the original was probably carried in a hunter-gatherer's bag rather than standing ten foot tall!
      ; )

      Delete
  5. Now that's a bit different... and all the better for it! The godess looks the part but what really stets the scene here are the offerings. Very well done and I'd like to see some worshippers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick - she definitely needs some worshippers! I'll have to rustle some up now...

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave - not a camel goddess, but I hope she meets with your approval!

      Delete
  7. Wow what a great post. Love the weathering on the figure, and what a great figure to start with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I don’t get a vote but for me this is a top challenger for The Sarah’s choice prize. Also I showed this post t9 my wife and she wants to know how your lounge room is decorated.....

      Delete
    2. I might have to post a pic so you can see her in situ - thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  8. I don’t think there has been an actual Goddess painted for the Challenge before! This figure is superb and so well done, I do love the “offerings” and look forward to seeing her worshippers.
    The Balloon Service is en route from Benito’s Brook to pick you up🎈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Sarah - as for worshippers, well, "if you build it, they will come"!
      : )

      Delete
  9. What a fun idea and very well brought together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool piece! Great for Pulpy or Mythos gaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - I'm thinking Glorantha as well!

      Delete
  11. Yep, you've got the old bronze look down to a T.

    Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going for greenstone, but hey, can't win 'em all!
      ; )

      Delete
  12. Well that's very cool Evan! A very creative set up that will work great in some pulp setting.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely idol and base details!

    ReplyDelete