Monday 17 February 2020

From BenF - 20mm British Para Support (40 Points)

This entry is a few more figures for my Chain of Command British. Nick and Rich have been working on a supplement covering the Arnhem campaign, and so I thought it about time to add some missing bits and pieces to my Paras, as well as another PIAT team for my British. After 2019 being a year of many projects started, and none completed, a few mates and I have decided that 2020 will be 'consolidation year'. This means that we are currently having a focus on Chain of Command, and besides having three pint sized campaigns on the go, each matching up different players, it has given me a bit of focus to get some long term projects completed.

First off, here is a British Para .303in Vickers medium machine gun team. These are Britannia figures, and I did a small conversion by head swapping one of the figures. I do like the characterful Britannia sculpts, and feel that they do actually fit in fine with the rest of my force, which is primarily Battlefield/Blitz.




Next up, it's a forward observer team, again from Britannia. I've had a crack at painting a map with gridlines in the observers hand. This lot will be calling in some 3" mortar support in a chain of Command game soon.



Next, some snipers, two of which are required for a chain of command Para platoon. The chap with the hood is Battlefield/Blitz, and the other one is another Britannia sculpt. Another map for the hooded chap, just visible behind the tuft. I've gone for a dioramic approach for basing these, using some of the excellent taijima tufts and small shrubs.


Finally, the extra PIAT team. This is one of the superb new sculpts from Simons Soldiers. As with the other British infantry I posted, these are painted up as the 49th (West Riding) Division, with the polar bear shoulder insignia. Simon has been pumping out some brilliant new sculpts, particularly some late war Fallischirmjager and 1940 French. Some of his Volkssturm are on the painting bench, and I've just finished off a German grenadier gruppe for my Late War Germans. Short of an anti tank gun team, that should finish off my 1944-45 Brits, though I have been toying with the idea of getting a few sections worth of the new Adler British infantry in windproof smocks, for those 1945 scenarios.




So far as points, this should net me another 36 points (9 x 4 points).

Next up, it'll be a few 20mm German Landsers and a Volksturm commander for my late war Germans.

***

Great work Ben, I've got a ton of respect for anyone who can manage the camouflage of the British paras in any scale, particularly this nicely. Well done. 

For scoring, I (ab)use my minion powers to add extra points for crew-served weapons and tempting sanity by painting British para camo. Let's make it 40 points.

GregB

19 comments:

  1. Stunning. When I glanced at the first picture I thought it was of real paras with sea in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on those paras Ben. Head swaps at 20mm and then camo smocks, excellent stuff. I really like your basing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I find the tajima tufts and shrubs really make it

      Delete
  3. Smashing work Ben. I used to have a load of Brittania British Paratroopers back in the days I played in 20mm, long gone these days though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, considering the age of the sculpts, they really do stand up.

      Delete
  4. Wow, terrific work Ben. 20mm rocks for WWII. I really like your basework as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I do love the broad ranges of figures and vehicles available in 20mm.

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking paras! Great camo!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, the camo pattern required a few try, but I think I'm happy with the result

      Delete
  6. Those camo smocks are a bugger to paint - but you bloody well did it! Great work Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look superb! The more 20mm WW2 stuff I see the more I regret having gone for 28mm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apart from the brilliant figures there's some awesome landscaping on these bases!

    ReplyDelete