Monday 3 January 2022

From BradS. Communism in the Stars [Caprica][Death Star][Skaro] 160 points

We've got a late flurry of posts from the Monday crew.  First up is this one from BradS

 First I would like to say what an honor it is to be included in the Analog Painting Challenge. This is my first year here and I am a little overwhelmed. I thought I would be posting the first week of the challenge but getting painted done is a lot harder than I anticipated. That said, I am here posting my first efforts! 


My goal this year is to focus on my 28mm Vietnam and 28 Cold War games so many of my entries will reflect this. I have a huge pile of NVA and Soviets to do. 


I will start my journey on the planet of Caprica where a NVA .51 Gun Team lies in ambush for unsuspected Huey Helicopters.

The NVA figures are from the excellent Empress Miniatures Vietnam line. They have some great detail to them that make them a lot of fun to paint.




The .51 Gun Crew consists of 3 crew and in this case they are all female.

I also painted up two other NVA figures to act as security and ammo bearers for a total of six figures including the gun. For scoring I have 6 28mm figures at 5 points each for a total of 30 points. Add to that the Capricia bonus for a total of 50 points.





Next I am moving on to the Death Star : Of Questionable Design with my painted T-64. The T-64 is a perfect model for the planet as it invokes the technology superior Soviet design of the Cold War, yet it was never tested in battle. It was a dark threat to NATO during the late 60s and especially the 70s. I spent a lot of time on the T-64 painting and weathering. It really looks good in 28mm! Unfortunately I have at least 4 more to do!

This is a bobmack 3D model that I printed and painted.

The weathering is applied with oils and powders from the Ammo of MIG line of paints. It is a lot of fun to dirty up a vehicle like this.



For points I have 20 for a 28mm Vehicle plus 20 points for going to the Death Star make a total of 40 points for the T-64.


Next I am off to Skaro : Strange Doctors; Weird Robots with my 28mm Soviet Infantry. I have always thought of the Soviet Infantry as a kind of Robots. The idea of following strict doctrine and being part of a communist regime all add up to Robots in my head, perfect for the planet Skaro theme. 


The figures are from Underfire Miniatures 28mm Soviet line. They are easy to paint and a look great when done. Which is good because my goal is to paint up a platoon of 28mm infantry.



Luckily they are not wearing any camouflage which makes it much simpler to paint. I wish I could say the same for the British Army of the Rhine infantry I painted up!

I created a unique paint stand to make it much easier to paint up a group of figures. Here is the Soviet Infantry in their painting stand.

I also painted up a BMP to go along with the Soviets. It really rounds out their firepower and mobility.


I think they really turned out nice. For points I am calculating 6 28mm Soviet Infantry at 5 points each for a total of 30 points plus a 28mm vehicle for 20 points. This totals 50 points plus the planet bonus of 20 points for a total of 70 points. 


Point Summary


6 28mm NVA Infantry = 5pts each x 6 = 30 points

6 28mm Soviet Infantry = 5pts each x 6 = 30 points

1 28mm T-64 = 20 points

1 28mm BMP-1 = 20 points


Total 100 Points Base


Starting on Caprica: Doomed; Ambush (NVA Gun Team) 20 extra points

Going to Death Star: Hubris; Of Questionable Design (T-64) 20 extra points

Next going to Skaro: Strange Doctors; Weird Robots (Soviet Infantry) 20 extra points


Total: 160 Points


Well that is it for this week. You can look forward to more Vietnam figures and more Soviet figures in the near future.


Brad


Wow Brad terrific lost of Cold War kit and figures. I especially like the NVA gun in it's jungle emplacement. Next time around why not do one post per Challenge location instead of stuffing them all in one.

I will count the NVA post as 5 28mm figures @5 points plus 10 for the crew served weapon=35 points. I concur on the rest of your tallies. I've also added a Sarah's Choice label given the makeup of the 50cal team.

28 comments:

  1. Great work especially the tank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Challenge Brad, I really like the T-64, a very nice paint and weathering on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, empress do make great figures that are a joy to paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so because I have a lot more to paint!

      Delete
  4. Excellent work Brad -- love the T64 and BMP which set off the infantry squad perfectly -- what rule set are you planning on using for the Cold War stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using the Battleground rule set reworked for the Cold War period.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful stuff, welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weathering on the tank is very realistic! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, now just 2 more tanks to go!

      Delete
  7. Love the vehicles- they really turned out great. Just the right amount of weathering and dirt to add character without overdoing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I always worry that I have gone too far with the weathering.

      Delete
  8. Great job all round, love the NVA, cool jungle bases 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent, you've more than done justice to the quality of Empress Miniatures

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent late 20th century east block types!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Splendid work Brad, I especially like your T-64

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully painted minis. The vehicles look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great stuff Brad - welcome to the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful work Brad. I really like your NVA. Welcome to the scrum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome aboard! Most excellent painting. Keep it coming

    ReplyDelete