Wednesday 12 January 2022

From PaulSS - 69th New York, the Fighting 69th (Klendathu)(The Great Abyssal)- 112 points

 

This weeks progress sees my first Union forces of Challenge XII with a regiment of New York Irish moving to the fore.


All the figures are from the Fighting 69th. set from Crusader Miniatures and are lovely casts, although a bit thinner than the Perry Miniatures so look a bit more sparse on their bases, maybe I should have mounted these in fours rather than threes.


The standards are from Flags of War and are included in the set, having looked at the photos, the green seems a little fogged by the varnish, so I'll likely give that another coat of brush-on to sort it out.


The "Sons of Erin" are depicted in action at the Battle of Antietam in the great picture by Don Troiani, this depicts several of the troops bare footed and the set from Crusader includes a few men without shoes.


Why Klendathu? The Battle of Antietam was the first major battle in the eastern theatre that took place on Union soil, the battle was indecisive and led to Confederates retreating back into their own territory.




As I have now completed four planets in the Outer Ring, I'd like to throw myself into the The Great Abyssal and progress to the Middle Ring.

Eighteen 28mm foot figures with two standards and the location bonus should add 112 points to the board for me.

American Civil War Duel Totalizer: 45 foot (309pts)

Napoleonic Duel Totalizer: 8 foot, 2 mounted (100pts)

***

Hi Paul - fine work on these US Civil War figures. The right sort of blue for Federal troops can be tricky, but you have nailed it here. Had no idea about the troops-without-shoes aspect of this unit, but that is one of the fine things about this Painting Challenge, the little nuggets of interesting info you pick up along the way. 

I would say connecting the Antietam Campaign to the spirit behind Klendathu is a touch tenuous, but the bridge will manage to hold in this instance - spared perhaps by those soldiers who are lighter as they are unencumbered by shoes...
 
Greg

39 comments:

  1. I don't know if the blues are the correct shade, but they look good. Neat painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Greg, thank you, I'll try to be less tenuous in my next challenge!
    I like the blue I get for the sack coats, I think I need to work more on the trousers, still a little to deep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never let anyone tell you the colour is wrong in historical uniforms. With cheap dyes and terrible washing techniques, uniforms could have been many shades! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also the prevailing weather conditions, will always be darker in the wet and lighter if dry, especially dusty.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nouLQZCXW4A

      Delete
  4. Well, I find the link not so teneous at all, nice take on the subject. Love the figures, the ons desperately in need of a shave is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, although I realize now his lips also need shaving ;)

      Delete
  5. The blue is very striking - nicely painted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnificent regiment of troops. The blue really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Paul:
    I can’t say enough good things about this entry, I love the ACW and really admire your brushwork here. I did a lot of ACW reenacting and saw all sorts of shades of blues (yes they were replica uniforms but I’m sure the real uniforms were just as varied) so I wouldn’t worry about the colours they look great.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking blue bellies!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are lovely Paul! Wouldn’t have thought that Crusader were thinner than their Perry counterparts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking unit Paul, I hadn't seen the Crusader Miniatures ACW figures before, really nice 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good work! This must be a striking image on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete