Wednesday 12 January 2022

From RobH - First Post - Double Feature, Science Fiction (75 Points)

Do you remember the Republic Picture serials such as Zombies of the Stratosphere
 
Before cable TV they were a staple of  the local 5:30 children's TV show in the mid 1960s on CTV in Halifax. Those images have been brought to life by the Pulp Figures creations of  Robert Murch.

My first submission to this season's edition of the challenge is a homage to those childhood memories. Late last year I placed an order from both his Weird Menace and Mystery and Horror lines. I hope to get them all painted this challenge.

 
 
First up is a female Martian crew member (I cannot find a film credit) in charge of a phalanx of Robots (I don't remember what film these are from, if any).  I do find them somewhat reminiscent of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Better late then never, I included the street Santa that was a bonus figure from Bob, for orders placed in December. I didn't get it painted in time to go with the Christmas tableau in my living room. 





Happy New Year to all
Scoring
11 - 28mm Figures @ 5 points each
A trip in the Outer Ring to Skaro: Strange Doctors; Weird Robots - 20 Points
 
***

Hi Rob - a happy 2022 to you as well. Thank you for this science fiction double-post. I know the Bob Murch sculpts have captured the imagination and heart of many Challengers, and seeing these will no doubt inspire further admiration and painting efforts. 75 points for you. 

Greg


21 comments:

  1. Rob, I don't know the tv-show but your figures are ace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those pulpy Robot Invaders from Mars Rob. I don’t recall the TV despite being in Halifax in the 60s, it may have been something that I wasn’t allowed to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pete. It was part of the Firehouse Frolics with Fire Chief Murray. I think I have a couple of years on you so that is where the difference lay.

      Delete
    2. I certainly remember Fire Chief Murray!

      Delete
  3. Great work on the bots Rob.
    Santa is a little late to the party but still a good 'un.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice robots and lovely tardy Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Santa isn’t late… he’s just really early! Very nice figures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very robotic. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rob:
    Great entry and cool to meet another Bob Murch fan. He was an early guest on the Cdn Wargames Podcast and it was a great chat, he’s a cool guy and a real gent. Your minis capture Bob’s trademark weirdness.
    Cheers,
    MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening Mike, I have started to listen to the podcast but I am easily distracted. Takes me 3 or 4 sittings to watch a movie or listen to a 90 min podcast. I'm enjoying the work you are doing on it. I am a fan of Bob's work. I definitely went whole hog last year ordering about 2 dozen packs of minis. I also backed his 1066 line, supporting the Saxons.

      Delete
  8. Love the Martian and the robots, nice santa too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone for your kind words. Hope to have a few more figures done for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome if slightly intimidating group of Robots 🤖

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete