Saturday 1 January 2022

From PeterB: First post, a flaming Balrog - [Arda to Vulcan] (65 points)

 Greetings all,

Peter B here from that completely unknown blog Playing with Lead. Christmas is over, the Quality Street have nothing but toffee pennies and the dining table has been reclaimed for painting. This is my first time on the painting challenge and so I am excited, apprehensive and amazed by all the awesome entries already posted.

So, on to my first post. I am starting the Challenge map on the planet Arda with the theme of fantasy and Tolkien. If this wasn't my first time you would be thinking I had a sneaky peak at the challenge map, as I returned from Salute this year with a handful of old GW metal Lord of the Rings models. So what better way to start than the beast himself, a Balrog.

 

 


Standing 70mm tall excluding the wings, it was difficult to get a full shot of this model. Being second hand I also had to restore some parts with green stuff. 

My second entry is a model from Bad Squiddo Games Being a super-fan of this company, I have plenty of models I can use to take advantage of Sarah's Star Yacht.

 

 

 

 

The shield has an attempt from myself of painting a squid emblem, I can only apologise.

So, on to the points.

Points Summary.

28mm scale Balrog (stands around 70mm tall) = 20 points

Arda bonus = 20 points

28mm scale Rosetta the Knight = 5 points

Sarah's star yacht bonus = 20 points

Total = 65 points


____________________________

First, welcome to the Painting Challenge Peter!

I'm a big fan of Annie's offerings at Bad Squiddo too, and I really like your female knight. The brass covered shoulderguard provides an excellent counterpoint to the rest of her armour.

I love that Balrog figure, and you've done a terrific job on his ashen skin and fiery shoulders and mane. Scoring him as a vehicle is about right! He looks warm, which is more that I can say for us here at -46 Regina. I wish he'd come and visit - it would be worth the trouble.

Again, welcome Peter!

- Curt

19 comments:

  1. Welcome to Challenge PeterB! I don't know if there has ever been as impressive first entry as this Balrog. :) Good job, nice painting. Amd the shield emblem is sympathetic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on these figures Peter. Love the flaming Balrog, isn’t that a drink? I’m also a big fan of Annie’s figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flaming Balrog? Make mine a double! Love the flame effects - very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Balrog, what a tough subject to tackle painting-wise. Well done, and welcome to the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Balrog Peter, welcome to the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, quite a few of GW's LoTR models featuring in this challenge! That is one of the kits I don't have and also one of my favourites. You've done a beautiful job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the Challenge Peter! A great first entry and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I'm a new follower of your blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on the Balrog and welcome to the challenge!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work PeterB and welcome to The Challenge :>)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice one, the balrog is very imposing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome Peter, a HUGE start to the Challenge, makes me wonder what you're building upto 😆

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for the kind comments. I can assure you, not all my leadpile has such a wingspan though. (Although Bad Squiddo do have some new plastic dragons I like the look of....)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking Balrog, the flame effects on its back a fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super looking balrog and lovely knight!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowza! Terrific first entry! The Balrog is sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A metal Balrog! That’s a weapon in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome to the Challenge, Peter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome to the fray, Peter! I like your initial entry. The Balrog is a favorite monster of mine from Lord of the Rings and you did a superb job of rendering his terrifying presence!

    ReplyDelete