Wednesday 23 February 2022

From BruceR - 28mm Norman support archers and citizens of Rome to mix it up (85 points)

In my 2nd year of the Challenge I marvel at everyone's ability to grind out projects.  My first Challenge, last year, was done during social lock down so many minis were tackled.  I'm still doing well, just notice how juggling all during this Challenge is different.  Well, soldier on I say.  

Holiday Monday here in the US and a blizzard day south of the Snowlord's lair.  Posting early as work has me traveling (if possible) to cover in another city for the week, I'll pack some brushes to see if I can motel paint.  

First up this week is rounding out a Norman SAGA force.  I've played a little SAGA and while I enjoy as one on one, I prefer more scenario-based adventures rather than the tournament style game (age showing maybe).  These archers have been primed and in a bin for probably 3-4 years.  Hopefully traveling to Adepticon (at the end of the challenge) and meeting a friend to try SAGA in a team approach.  Never played my Normans so here is an opportunity.  Thus, these levy archers.  They are Warlord miniatures.  Nice models, yet the faces are somewhat chunky.  Yes the helmet nasal piece covers the nose, but faces could have been more robust.  Overall good models.  I did try a speed effort and used my airbrush to base color the models with three different tunic color types.  Washed and highlighted.  Thought I was done and then decided to add some trim colors to round them out.  

Hope you enjoy.









Next, is a story of needing some miniatures for a game.  Actually, gaming again might be the reason I lose some hobby time (ha).  So  my group wanted to play some Dark Age Vikings and so we used a LittleWars TV scenario using the Ravenfeast Rules.  The scenario required 7 monks.  I thought I had purchased a monk package from Foundry Miniatures and discovered I had not.  They look great and I just must have not clicked.  Hmmm, what to do.  Well enter my next submission.  Citizens of Rome break out your acting gear.  I have these for the purpose of having some citizens for "Infamy Infamy" by TooFatLardies.  I base coated them in brown and painted the faces.  Boom, stand ins for Monks.  here is a picture of the game with one of the Roman Citizens turned Monk in the lower left.

After the game and some family time, finished the Citizens for the Challenge.



Citizens of Roman come forward and hear of the latest news of the glorious legions.







I've decided to leave the outer ring with a couple of planets undone.  Oh, well the price for gaming.  I'm throwing my fate in the hands of GregB to guide my travels, so leaping into a Warp maelstrom.  

On to the Middle Orbit.  



Here is my early submission.  Everybody in the North stay safe as mother nature gives us a couple of more blasts before spring and let's sprint to the finish line.  Stay well.

17 28mm foot =        85 pts Total

***

It is always nice to see some neglected miniatures getting their time under the brush - good for those Norman Archers! I really enjoyed "SAGA" myself, until they released a second edition, and would not tell me if I needed to replace my boards or not...

Good work pressing those fine citizens of Rome into service as monks! Nothing like the pressure of an impending game to bring out some creativity!

Having stopped on four different worlds in the outer ring, I believe you could travel to the next ring on your own, but who am I to ignore a request to travel via Maelstrom? Sipping on my morning Starbucks, and carefully consulting with various warp navigation authorities (that 40k Navigator figure I painted never talks back, but whatever), I declare your next destination shall be Coruscant - Imperial, Good vs. Evil. Good luck on your next planet, and safe travels here in the current real world!

GregB

12 comments:

  1. Very nice coloured trims on the Normans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the archers very much, Bruce! The color pops well on them. Using half painted minis in a game!? Well I never...uh...yeah. ;)
    Hoping to get my iron snakes complete with the orks and whitescars this time. Of the three forces the white scars are the only ones yet to be used in battle. Soo embarrassing using the other two forces for some time without proper color! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done! Those toga clad dudes are ace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant looking figures Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your ingenuity employing the base coated Romans as stand-in monks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on these historical figures. I like the bright accent colours you have used on the Normans' tunics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very well executed indeed! Specially like the archer boys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking archers and nice work on the Romans/monks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant figures Bruce. Dark Ages figures are often painted to look drab and dull and rather boring, but not these, I love their vibrancy.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely pair of entries.

    ReplyDelete