Wednesday 23 February 2022

From PaulSS - 25th Virginia Infantry Regiment (92 points)


Todays' challenge entry is a firing line of Crusader Miniatures representing the 25th Virginia Infantry Regiment that saw service from 1861 to 1865.


The figures were picked up from North Star, while the standards are from Flags of War. Given the battle honours depicted on the battle flag I suspect that it represents the unit in 1864.



As all my Confederate infantry so far is from the Perry plastics it's pretty much entirely in the advancing or right shoulder shift poses, so a firing line adds some variety to the collection.



These really are lovely figures and I've already started another unit of them that I hope to be able to post next week.


I took a few pictures of the whole unit deployed in line, but for whatever reason they came out a bit blurry.



Eighteen 28mm figures and a pair of standards is 92 more points on the board and should see me passing my 1000 point target with just under a month to go.

American Civil War Duel Totalizer: 118 foot, 2 mounted, 4 horses (733pts)

Napoleonic Duel Totalizer: 8 foot, 2 mounted (100pts)
 
***
 
Fantastic work as ever Paul. I just love firing line poses for units in the "black powder" era - I know marching figures are very common (maybe easier to base) and look great, but there is something excellent about the ranks of little figures looking they are ready to unleash a volley at their enemies on the table. 
 
Your brush work continues to be top-shelf - and in particular, with a Confederate unit, I am impressed with how you vary the uniforms of the individual soldiers, while still keeping an overall unified look for the soldiers. Great stuff. 
 
GregB

28 comments:

  1. Very nice work, Paul! I like that blueish grey you've used. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin, it's from a base of VMC Luftwaffe Uniform

      Delete
  2. Great work on these Rebs, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice looking unit. I agree on both the firing line and Crusader figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job, very neat and picking all the details. And like others have said, varied colours, but still uniform feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great looking unit! The picture of the whole unit is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great, I like how you haven't been tempted to put too many models on each base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I think mostly threes and a few fours works well for this period

      Delete
  7. Great looking unit, the occasional irregular colour to their uniforms really sells the 'on campaign' feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grand work, Paul! I have to echo Greg as I love the varied mix of color on the uniforms. Really good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Greg, thank you I agree that the firing lines doo have a better look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid looking Confederate unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Paul:
    I've really been enjoying your ACW entries this Challenge, and lovely to see more, you nailed the gray on these rebs.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete