Sunday 20 February 2022

From KerryT : P is for Perry Miniatures (plus a few hangers on with a missing Cuirassier) (74 points and 1 if not 3 squirrels)

 Morning, Afternoon and Evening all

As highlighted in my first post of today I missed out on completing and posting a unit last week because a cyclone knocked out the power.

Somehow I've managed to catch up with a second offering this week but there aren't too many figures so its not been too onerous.

This time P is for Perry Miniatures

This will be my 8th entry leaving P is for Plastic, Personality, Pagan and Posh to come.

There are few figures on show I'm afraid - only 4 Perry figures as my original intention was to paint up some Stradiots for the Italian wars. These however arrived only a few days ago and have still not been cleaned and undercoated as they're still in the package. They are after all a birthday present as well and that's not until Monday! So even though I bought them for myself from my wife, I haven't been given them yet

The figures are from their "secure the colour" set - its meant to depict Corporal Stiles of the 1st Dragoons capturing the eagle of the 108th Ligne at Waterloo

Flag by GMB Designs

I have no idea why I bought these figures as I do not have a 28mm British Napoleonic army, just French, Duchy of Warsaw and Russians. I think I just wanted something to put on the shelf



This left me with a little spare time in the week and because one of the underpinning ideas behind the AHPC seems to be to encourage one to get some old unpainted lead on the table I decided to tackle some AB miniatures vignettes

I have very large 15mm Napoleonic armies and couldn't resist buying some these AB vignettes when I visited Eureka Miniatures in Melbourne probably more than 5 years ago https://abfigures.com/110-vignettes

The 8th Cuirassiers  take a colour of the 69th Foot at Quatre Bras





Spotted an error - there's a Cuirassier from the original set missing!

This is where I have to confess my error, the actual colour captured was the King's Colour and not the Regimental colour as I have erroneously depicted above! You can read an account here:-

My decision in the end to add in some ABs backfired a little as they took me much longer to paint than I had anticipated.

The second set is the AB equivalent of the Perry Vignette though again in 15mm where the 1st Dragoons capture the Eagle of the 105th Ligne




As I said I completed them in a bit of a rush- and can spot a second omission- I took the pictures yesterday and have since left for a weekend trip away! I can see that I haven't highlighted the flesh and it looks a bit dark!

So by my reckoning that's

Vignette 1: 4 x 28mm figures (2 foot and 2 mounted) = 30 points

Vignette 2: 7 x 15mm figures (3 mounted and 4 foot) = 20 points

Vignette 3: 8 x 15mm figures (4 foot and 4 mounted )= 24 points

A total of 74 points
I'm not sure how many Squirrels I can claim for this 
There's at least 1 ? possibly 3. If so that will help my count

_____________________________

These vignettes are fabulous Kerry. It's also great to see some more figures for Napoleonics in the Challenge. As I like to call it, Napoleonics is 'The Beautiful Game'. The Perry's stuff is always solid, but I have to say I'm always taken by the somewhat smaller efforts of Anthony Barton. They have such great character and wonderful detail packed into their small format - really wonderful stuff, especially when they are painted with a talented brush-jockey such as yourself. Beautiful work Terry!

- Curt




23 comments:

  1. Those vignettes look fab, Kerry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasmin, vignettes alway add something to a table I think and with a ready made set like these its easy. I'm in awe of those gamers that convert stuff and produce vignette's with originality

      Delete
  2. Thanks as always Curt for your encouragement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both hard and easy to give with your talent, :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely vignettes! Your work is always so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squirrelwise you'll get 1 for the 28mm vignette and 1 for the 15mm vignettes as you don't have 25 points of 15mm British and 25 points of 15mm French.
    - The Squirrelfinder General

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies and thanks Stuart - I hadn't thought to tally them up! Doh Still 2 is better than one and better than aoke in the eye

      Delete
  5. Good job on the vignettes, Kerry! And just a couple of miniatures and you can expand these almost Squirrels to full Squirrels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Teemu, how does a "the nearest run thing you ever saw in your life" sound? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking vignettes in both scales, lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huzzah! These are great and add to the battlefield look. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce, Eureka also do a rather nice set but I didn't get around to that

      Delete
  9. Not sure which I admire more, these painted figures or the phrase "I bought them for myself from my wife". Lovely work, Kerry, you make me think about straying outside of 6mm for Napoleonics. I might order some AB figures just for fun ... hmmmmm.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I have a lovely wife who not only supports but encourages my hobby and is very understanding! ABs are definitely worth a try - must say I've struggled in 6mm myself though

      Delete
  10. Really nice work on all of these vignettes. I’ve painted a fair number of the Tony Barton 15mm Nappies from his first company in the 80s. Those were wonderful and the AB figures look even nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With close to around 15,000 Napoleonics I suspect I've vowed never to buy anything by AB from now on - but I do have a soft spot for Minifigs though

      Delete
  11. Those vignettes are stunning.

    ReplyDelete