Saturday 5 February 2022

From PeterB: Adventurers and Gentlemen Wizards [Lune to Terra] (110 points)

Another weekend, another smorgasbord of deliciously painted delights from the Saturday crew. For my own contribution I am once again jumping to another genre. My last stop off on my travels among the planets was Altair IV. Not fancying the look of the neighbouring planet, I decided to take a third and final trip on Sarah's yacht and painted up a troublesome pair from the latest Bad Squiddo games Kickstarter, the Fighter and Ranger.


My yacht trip takes me to Lune, for some Sorcery. Well, recently I have been working on some Napoleonic mass battle rules (where am I going with this you ask?) and one of the things I added to the rules was inspired by the excellent book Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. In the tale, Mr Norrell aids Wellington in his campaign against Bonaparte by the use of a few well cast Olde English spells. I therefore have been writing some period suitable battle magic for my rules and needed some Gentlemen Sorcerers for playtesting. These civilians from Front Rank are the last of what I had left to finish.


From Lune straight to Terra and a theme of Earthbound. Well what is more Earthbound, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, than a graveyard? My Brother in Law and I picked up the Silver Bayonet rules at Salute last year and for this game we need some objective tokens (or clue markers). Well, some spooky gravestones and crows will do the trick.


Unfortunately I can't remember the manufacturer of these, they have been in my bits box too long.



The stone on the left and the bat are from Bad Squiddo the cross is from GW.


I have had these stones from GW for at least 22 years, sheesh, talk about a long time in my to do pile.


So for points;

  • 4 x 28mm foot, 20 points
  • Yacht and two planets, 60 points
  • 14 x graveyard bits in 28mm scale, 28 points?

Total: 108 points.

I believe that is now three yacht trips and 12 planets visited, so I humbly ask Millsy to consider a task for my visit to the Challenge XII star.

From Millsy:

"Another weekend, another smorgasbord of deliciously painted delights from the Saturday crew."
Hey! That's my line!

These are really cool Peter and I can definitely get the Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell vibe from your efforts. I thoroughly enjoyed the TV adaptation but struggled with the book which I found really slow paced. Perhaps I should give it another read now. These have a very evocative feel about them, making me think of cold grey skies, empty moors and unusual happenings waiting just out of eyeshot. 

Lovely work on the Bad Squiddo miniatures too. They are a couple of very dynamic poses and you've done them justice with your brush and your colour choices.

Hmmm... what shall I task you with then as you spiral inwards to the centre of the quadrant? I've especially enjoyed your Stargrave and Epic 40K efforts so far, so something to add to either of those would be real treat!

110 points for you mate, including a couple of extras for making me rethink Norrell and Strange.

Cheers,
Millsy

11 comments:

  1. Nicely done Peter and its always good when you finally get around to those figures bought aeons ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice varied collection, you're fast, I've had that final sarcophagus since 1979 and still haven't painted it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey, it must be something about the gw graveyard set, enthusiasm when bought, then intimidation on knowing what to do with it! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Great figures. I’m not sure of the wisdom of dealing with grave goods that have lain buried since time immemorial…..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell and these figures fit the story admirably. A great contribution and a fine job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent brushwork Peter. I've got those Napoleonic civvies on my to paint list too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look straight from Jane Austen! The Squiddo lasses are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a planetary jaunt you made! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good looking sorcerers and graveyard bits! Cobgratulations on reaching the Center!

    ReplyDelete