Monday 28 March 2022

Curt & Sarah's Painting Challenge


Hi All!

Curt and Sarah here with our wrap-up post for Challenge XII.

I'll start off with the obligatory mugshot along with the fruits of my winter labour.


This was perhaps my best Challenge to date, with lots of minis (well, lots for me) getting under the brush, and heaps of fun being had trying new things. 

It was a year that was largely taken up with fantasy subjects, which is just fine all things taken into account. 

I was particularly happy that I managed to get eight new Moonstone characters done up and ready for the tabletop.


I also got a good start on two 10mm fantasy armies (Tomb Kings and Forest Elves) for 'Might & Magic', a fantasy variant of 'To the Strongest').



...and a potpuri of other stuff got some brush lashing as well!






Thanks for all the encouraging comments people left. I know it seems a small thing, but getting feedback really makes a huge impact on the whole process, so thanks again to everyone who stopped in to say hello and comment on what I was doing.

Now, on to Sarah, celebrating her first foray as a Challenge brush-jockey. With this wrap-up she's officially a grizzled veteran now.  A big congratulations, m'dear! :)

- Curt

____________________________________



Hey Everybody, Sarah here!

Wow! I can hardly believe it. I made it through my first Challenge! Not only did I paint my first mini, but also bested my modest points goal. Thanks to everyone who commented on my posts, the encouragement was very much appreciated.

However, I wanted to extend my thanks to all the wonderful painters and creative thinkers/makers who’ve “hung out” on this blog over the years. I feel like I’ve been attending a masterclass and that my efforts are a reflection all of your talents.👏


I present to you, my very modest collection, definitely not even close to a point’s bomb, but my efforts earned me 258pts. I painted five of Lady Sarah’s Star Yacht Crew (maybe a few more coming for Challenge XIII?) Four 28mm heroines for pulp adventures, two of the marvellous HaggleThorn Hollow buildings and my first ever figure, Galadriel.

Pride of place in the display cabinet!



I’ll be posting the winner of the most coveted 'Sarah’s Choice Award” in a few weeks. To be eligible for consideration, entries must be labelled as either Sarah’s Choice, or Lady Sarah’s Star Yacht. This will a tough decision!


-Sarah❤️


20 comments:

  1. Thank you both for organizing and participating this hobby madness! Both of you exceeded your point targets, that is always a good thing - Challenge is such a nice positive pressure. Until December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twas a great challenge, so thank you. I am already planning for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great challenge from you both. Couples goals achieved

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work and achievements from both of you! Thanks to you two for hosting us for three months of madness once again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to both of you on an excellent Challenge.
    Also - great to see that Sarah will now be requiring display case space at the Casa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent wrap-up from miniature paintings very own celebrity couple! Thank you for running the event again this year. It must be a huge amount of work but you make it look effortless. The Painting Challenge is such a positive and life-affirming celebration of the hobby I'm not sure how we would have got through the last couple of years without it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for organising the challenge- I dearly wish I could have been able to find the time to put more work in- but serious illness is just that, serious.

    I love the wrap up and it's been great to see so many people putting so much effort into the whole thing :>)

    Congrats to all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on an amazing Challenge Curt and Sarah! Your contribution to this community is immeasurable. Great stuff for both of you beating your points targets.
    Sarah, I loved your HaggleThorn Hollow Buildings. Curt, your enchanted bell sentries, together with the elven female fighter atop the battle squirrel was magical.
    Enjoy your well deserved, post-Challenge time off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a lovely and talented couple, and I've admire your collective work, though Curt's a braver man than I for calling his wife "grizzled". Good luck with that, bro.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work there, both of you! Thanks again for all your work in running the Challenge, it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Impressive work, Curt and Sarah. I think my favorite pieces are the D&D book nook and the fantasy not-Star Wars minis. It was good to see you in person last Thursday. Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly lovely work Lady Sarah! Congratulations. And thanks to you and Himself for making this Wonderful Madness possible for so many to Enjoy. (I entered once but alas, life & health intervened.) Can't express how much I have enjoyed everyone's amazing efforts and growth. Huzzah!!!
    ~ Tom T

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very big well done to the both if you. Great to see so much from you this year Curt, I bet you're pleased with the amount of figures you painted up? And great to see Curt's hobby is now your hobby as well Sarah. You've been on the periphery for so long, now you're a full member of the Challenge family, painting your own figures. Are we gonna see entries on Curt's blog throughout the year with your latest paint job? I do hope so.
    But thanks again to the both of you, for letting us all invade your lives during the Challenge, it's been a fun 3 months!
    Looking forward to loads more!
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful work from the both of you and it's been a blast to be part of this community again over the past few months -- and also once again great to be able to get to know everyone a little better with these close out posts! Simon

    ReplyDelete
  15. You both did great! Curt, your work is always amazing and inspirational. Obviously I liked the 10mm stuff very much, but all your contributions were fantastic. And Sarah, it’s been such a pleasure to see your work and read your comments. You could never be grizzled, but you may proudly bear the epithet of “veteran”now! I very much hope to meet you both again in the next Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the stuff you both produced, simply brilliant, wonder how you managed to find the time as well with all that background admin work, thank you both for a fantastic 3 months

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Curt: top notch as usual Curt, it's a joy to see you bring to live the most unusual figures.
    @ Sarah: to me it seems you have always been such a "given factor" within the Greater Challenge, that I am not surprised at the exc3llent quality of your works at all! It is the stories/ themes behind your posts as well as the warm and caring replies to all entries of other participants that show us how important you are to ensure the soul of the Challenge remains what it is a home for us all during the cold winter days!

    I will thank you both more properly in my wrap up post if and when I find the time to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great stuff Curt and Sarah, see you both next year!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah and I thank you all for the wonderful comments. It was a terrific year and we look forward to the next edition.

    ReplyDelete