Tuesday 29 March 2022

From JamesM: It's a half-wrap (AHPC 12)

Hi folks,

Another year, another challenge and another chunk of a project for my collection done. It's time to pat myself on the back, clean my brushes and... keep painting half-tracks. 

*sigh*

This challenge, I stuck mainly to my planned 15mm WW2 project, with a slight diversion into some old school Battlefleet Gothic. Next year I may suggest an 'anti-squirrel' duel. 

The winter months saw me completing twenty three vehicles, three guns and 24 infantry figures - all at 15mm scale. Mainly German (which I find far more time consuming to paint), but with a few British HQ and logistics bits thrown in. I've ended the challenge with six more half-tracks and six self-propelled guns to paint, and then I can move onto something else.  


Unfortunately the joys of brand new modern phone cameras designed for distant object zooms and wide angles means my group shot was blurry round the edges. 

Some close ups:




I finished the challenge with the six remaining half-tracks in a state of partial completion, and as usual a paint shelf full of stuff I didn't even get round to painting. German camo and foliage on vehicles really ate into my time each week. 

The British HQ base and the BFG ships were only considered after the challenge had finished, and I was really pleased with how both turned out. The BFG ships in particular were a pleasure to paint. I'm looking forward to painting more of these in the future as a diversion from my WW2 plans.  

As I didn't get a picture of me with the models (the camera on the phone isn't THAT wide lensed), I will stick with my new tradition (established last year) of me and one of my other top creations - my son. 


Thanks everyone for the company, especially those who joined the Paint and Chat's to say hello. Thanks to the minions and Curt+Sarah for running and organising again. By my count, this was my sixth challenge - and long may it continue. 

In total this year I completed 382 points against my target of 250, finishing way down the table in 64th place. 

Thanks all,

JamesM

32 comments:

  1. There's some really nice stuff there James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff, James! Sometimes it is good to focus on one main project during the Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't focus on one thing, I'd get nothing done!

      Delete
  3. Those halftracks (and other vehicles) are truly beautiful, they look much bigger than 15mm so well done! I'd like to have one project for the Challenge sometime, but I guess that would need some kind of planning and focusing, so I end up squirreling and jumping from project to project. Respect to all of you who can stick to one thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Teemu, I'm pleased to hear they do look bigger - makes all the small details I spend time on worth doing! The only way I can manage my painting backlog (and model buying habit) is to have my various forces planned out in advance.

      Delete
  4. Great work James -- I really like both the vehicles (very well based) and the spaceships -- great attention to detail on both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, now everything just needs to get a turn on the gaming table!

      Delete
  5. A great effort this year James, I do like your painting style. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore the picture of you and your son!! Your skill painting vehicles is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha, he's a little cutie pie isn't he.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful work James! I especially liked your BFG ships and your 15mm vignettes. That last pic of you and your boy is a corker. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, and thanks for the theme that made me decide to get some paint on those ships after so many years!

      Delete
  8. I too loved the BFG Fleet and dioramic 15mm pieces.
    Thats quite the WW2 project you have amassed there James - maybe more halftracks and vehicles now than Dave D has camels??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul - but lets not get too carried away!

      Delete
  9. brilliantly done Stuart! Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well done, James! Your WWII stuff was awesome but I was very much taken with your Battlefleet Gothic models. Up for your 7th then, see you in December!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good stuff and you finished over your target. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really enjoyed minoring your stuff this year James. Lovely work and basing on those AFVs. I also love the dad and son shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, and for the minioning as well!

      Delete
  13. cracking work on the halftracks James.

    I do like your idea of a anti-squirrel duel, as someone who suffers badly from it

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! I'm perhaps too focussed on one thing at a time, when I get bogged down I tend to stop rather than bouncing to something else.

      Delete
  14. Thought your BFG ships and 15mm armour were great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete