Tuesday 29 March 2022

From StuartL - Ready For Challenge XIII - Challenge XII Wrap Up

Hello all,

So that's the challenge all over and done with then? Right, best get started prepping for the next one. Three months sounds like a long time, but I am always surprised at how quickly the challenge is finished. Similarly, I never think that I have painted as much as I have, but when I put everything onto my table, I am shocked by the sheer number of minis. 

So, how was this year's challenge for me? Well, my initial target was 1500 points, but after milking every point I could from the Challenge Quadrant and then some, (I think I scored about 600+ points from the map) I was able to adjust my target up to 2000 points, which I bypassed by a margin of 10%. When the challenge began, my wife asked me how many models I was going to paint. With my 1500 point target, I guesstimated 300 minis, assuming a 28mm scale infantry figure on average. Since I don't really paint smaller scales very much, this turned out to be quite accurate with my final figure total coming to 298 minis. This wasn't my most productive year, but as my non-challenge painting speed is about 30 figures a month, it was still a phenomenal output. I finished in 5th place overall, but still over 1000 points behind FrederickC in 4th place. I don't know how others break the 3000 point barrier. Even if I had more time available, I don't think I could spend it painting. This year I also served as the Squirrelfinder General, adjudicating the Squirrel side duel after withdrawing my entry to that contest. It was actually a fair amount of work as the variety of posts, schedules and challengers meant that tracking down who had painted what was way more complicated than it at first appeared. In a couple of cases entries had been posted in the wrong order, so people's Squirrel counts appeared to be going down, not up! Even though I didn't enter myself, I did a quick count as I was taking the photos below. I think I managed 15 Squirrels for myself. 

Thank you to everybody who commented on my posts and a huge thank you to all of the challengers for making the challenge what it is. A glorious celebration of our hobby covering everything from the dawn of man to the far future and the most impossibly tiny miniatures to massive mountain fortresses. There is such a huge diversity here that I am always inspired and awed by the output of all the challengers. Special thanks go to our supreme Snowlord, Curt and the Lady Sarah for running this challenge, the Minions for all of their hard work, and PeterD in particular for managing my posts.

So, on to the pictures.


Despite not playing any GW systems, I have a lot of Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer 30,000 armies on the go. I actually expected to paint more figures for them than I did, but my attention seemed to have wandered a bit. There are also two Battletech minis included in this shot.


I painted up a large number of dwarves from North Star/Oathmark for this challenge. At the time I said that I had finished all of the models I had, but it turns out that I had missed a few. At some point prior to the challenge I had set 5 minis aside as a potential Squirrel and then forgot to put them back in with the rest of the figures. Also included are a few Malifaux and Post Apocalyptic minis.


Locally there aren't many historical players, but that doesn't stop me from trying. I really enjoy Saga and Bolt Action, so naturally have multiple armies for each system. I also have a large and steadily growing collection of minis for the Anglo-Zulu war. All of these got some reinforcements during this challenge.


If you kept up with my posts, you will probably have seen that I really like the models from the Reaper Bones kickstarters (having backed all 5 so far). I still have 1000s of these to do, but I made a dent in my pile this year, painting some of the larger models in my collection. There is another kickstarter beginning very soon, so no doubt the pile will be increasing again.


Finally we have some Warhammer Fantasy minis. Again, I don't play any GW games, but own far too many figures for them. Say what you will about GW's prices (ludicrous) and rules writing (average at best), but they do make some wonderful figures.


And (nearly) finally, the obligatory picture of everything I accomplished, complete with a mug shot. 



And before I forget. I entered into the Skullz side duel again this year, though I didn't really focus on it all that much. As the winner of the duel, Curt is entitled to use the skull of the previous year's winner as a drinking vessel of some kind. To help give Curt some idea of the volume of my noggin, I have provided measurements below.


See you all in the next challenge!

15 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on the GW opinions, all of them!

    Very nice output, Stuart, and especially running the Squirrel Challenge! It would be nice and easy, if everyone would just do what they were supposed to do, but then all the forgotten labels, misunderstandings and other magics makes it a little nightmare to calculate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great Challenge Stuart, I was hot on your heels, it was a battle for 5th 6th and 7th, and I lost! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great Challenge wrap-up, Stuart. 298 28mm models is an amazing achievement - wow. I also very much appreciate you taking on the mantel of SquirrelFinderGeneral - it's a lot of work and you did an admirable job.

    Actually, I think your noggin would serve as a lovey bookend for my archive of GW rulesets/codex/etc. Just let me know when you're not planning to use it and we'll get it sorted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the inaugural Skullz winner a few years back, I feel like I was denied a good drinking vessel - offset my keeping my own I guess :-) Great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great Challenge Stuart! Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an achievement, Stuart! Almost 300 28mm figures I quite a lot! Thank you so much for being Acting Squirrelfinder General, that was great fun. By the way, even though you didn’t enter you still beat me by a fair margin 😉. See you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 298 figures 😮That is phenomenal! I enjoyed your attempts at keeping all the squirrels contained - that is a feat in itself! Your ‘PartyBot’ still makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drink up Curt. That is a two handed skull goblet. Great work. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gret work Stuart. Has the drinking vessel been properly marked by the Weights and Measure folks?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work Stuart, congrats on a fine Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic result Stuart! See you in the next challenge

    cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  12. 300 figures is a great result, well done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete