Tuesday 22 March 2022

From LeeH -AHPC XII Wrap Up - French Foreign Legion in Southern Algeria 1900-1903

Before discussing my closing picture I wanted to say what a great time I have had this year. On a personal level, this challenge has been hugely rewarding but as always it has also been a great bulwark against the craziness that is the real world. I continue to be in awe of the productivity and creativity of all the participants. I count myself very lucky to have been able to take part alongside you. And of course, I can't ignore the huge effort that Curt and the Minions put into this event every year. If I were wearing a hat, I would doff it to you in respect. 😆

So, after thirteen weeks of intense effort, I have managed to complete my entire French Foreign Legion project. Terrain, Buildings, French Legionnaires and Berbers and even some little side projects like unit markers, movement bases and a set of rules for a game within the game. Of course, when I say completed what I really mean is I completed everything that I had planned to paint when the Challenge started in December. I'm sure there will be a few additions to both sides and some scatter terrain passing across my paint desk soon...but first I need to clean up the mess that is my hobby room! As per tradition, here is my obligatory wrap-up shot of everything. 


Now I need to get started on some intensive playtesting to hammer the scenario into a workable game (and to thoroughly refresh my memory of the rules). In the process, no doubt, I will find all sorts of little projects to work on like a French Legionary flag for the fort; wild animals; and maybe more casualty figures. I'm also currently hunting for a suitable desert well in 15mm for this part of the world, and some 15mm figures I can use as Tirailleurs and Spahis for use at some unspecified time in the future. No project is ever truly finished. 





















Ray recently commented that there weren't nearly enough spreadsheets or charts to accompany my entries this year. I have been using my long-running worksheet to keep a track of my progress, I just wasn't sharing it a lot... but just for Ray, here's my wrap-up chart for Challenge XII. 



Not my highest final tally, but considering I did that largely without the aid of the bonus rounds for the first time, I consider 923 Points a respectable total. 

So that's it from me. Once again, congratulations to all the participants this year. I'm already planning for Challenge XIII so I look forward to seeing you all on the field of battle in 9 months' time! 

15 comments:

  1. Excellent output, Lee! I really enjoyed seeing your Foreign Legion project develop - the fort is a great piece of terrain. Speaking of terrain, you will of course need an oasis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done getting your project "finished". It seems like you have got a great set-up for a game there and it all looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just amazing, Lee. I'm all over the place during the Challenge, but I love seeing people, like yourself, who can concentrate and get significant progress on a specific project. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a great Challenge, Lee, I always looked forward to the hot desert breezes from your posts. Well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you have showed everyone your chart Lee, it has made my week, no my year!
    Great out though ol chum. Can't wait to get a game with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great challenge Lee. Amazed by your focus and I really enjoyed watching the FFL project unfold. The top shot is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great project Lee! I have enjoyed following your posts this years a lot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant - kudos for being able to stick to stick to one project and making huge progress in it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Lee, that is an inspiring amount of focus!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, Lee, I followed your project, but didn't realize you didn't paint anything else! What will power and concentration. Good work, see you in AHPC XIII!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was great fun to see your project coming together, Lee! An impressive amount of work, all the while putting out your great videos too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is some serious dedication to a project! No squirrels to be found here! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome fort and two impressive forces,well done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. excellent work Lee, a grand output too!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete