Thursday 8 December 2022

From DaveD - intro , workspace and plans

 Hi ,

So here I go with my 12th participation  to the annual challenge . - has it really been that many - yikes . 

Over that time the hobby work area has expanded considerably. I also live near and game with JamesM and MartinC - we are playing tomorrow in fact . We have even co-opted 2 new challenge virgins this year DennisC and SteveK - we may have to have a side duel - mind who knows if  Millsy can keep the spreadsheet up to date with it being upside down .


 

With the passing of time I now of course need more magnification in the form of an optivisor and lots of light.




Over the years the challenge had enabled a number of large projects to be seen through to completion - well let’s not say completion , but at least anything new being added comes from the darker recess of the lead  mine. 

  • The Old West town of Serenity 
  • The Sudan - the amount camels are stuff of challenge lore ..
  • Normandy ww2 in 15mm 
  • ACW in 10mm 
  • Vietnam 
I tend to stick to my focus with not too much wandering into the bonus rounds though I think there may be a few cross overs into that this year . 
Focus will be on the Vietnam stuff as this still has lots of legs yet  , some new 15mm Cold War gone hot , possibly 10mm AWI . 

In addition I look after the Challenge Facebook page Click through link https://www.facebook.com/groups/179279788936540/

Over the years there has been a group of us participating in  the video chats and these have continued across this year. It’s a good way of helping each other be productive . Most video chats have started around 8pm UK time - or around about Paul O'G's  breakfast time.  I am planning to try and stagger hosting some to suit the wider global audience. The direct link to the video hangout is published on the Facebook pages. just click through. if you want to know more about these directly rather than FB contact me via e-mail direct or via your minion  and I will look to do some e mail updates . 

We are currently using Zoom - and if your not familier with that  - you've had a great pandemic!

 

Have a great challenge everyone 








31 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, your hobby room looks quite impressive! I’d love to see some 10mm AWI but I’m sure all your work will be great as always. Hope to see you in the chat as well if I can make it sometime, good to hear that tradition is continuing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Challenge! WOW... that's an impressive hobby area indeed. I may try to join some of the chats this year if possible. See you in a few days

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool rifle on the wall there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a Colt Revolving rifle 1855 period !

      Delete
  4. Hi Dave, what a great space you have. Can't wait to see what you paint this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Dave! I'll try to see if I can get on with with a few of your hobby chats. 8pm your time is 2pm for me which sort of leaves it to weekends (being a working slob and all) - fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may do some oddball time ones for you behind the times people

      Delete
  6. Looks like a nice hobby room, John Wayne on the background will give you some positive pressure, I'm sure of that. I hope to join one of those chats this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to your output Dave, always a treat what you produce. I think my class schedule will let me drop in on the video chats this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully no gravity induced interruptions this year !

      Delete
  8. There is a Facebook page, chats!?! Very nice hobby area!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to the modern stuff!

    I may try to join the zooms. I'll email you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have your mail - will put you on a distro

      Delete
  10. I don't use social media at all, so talk of books full of faces and zooming things just confuses me. :D
    Great looking hobby workshop you have there. Everything looks to be within arms reach at a moment's notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the cave had evolved in layout over the years . Cheers D . Social media to be fair had proved a boon for contacting other like minded loons , so don’t believe all the nay sayers

      Delete
  11. Looking forward to seeing more of your 'Nam stuff this year, Dave! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs a decent crack on to get it on the downside of the lead slops so hopefully it will !

      Delete
  12. Hopefully we can make a few zoom chats this year - this being on the other side of the world can be terribly inconvenient for time zones!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely hobby space Dave, would love to take part in a few Zoom sessions even though I'm on the underside of the world in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely space there, and great to see zoom calls put to proper use vs that other thing ( work is it? ).. would be great to join in on one or two to see how others get on with painting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great space you have Dave,looking forward to your projects, all the best for the challenge. See you on chat, this time in a better time zone!

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice setup Dave, it’s always a delight seeing your points-bombs landing.

    ReplyDelete