Thursday 8 December 2022

MattW - A cunning plan my lord….XIII challenge intro




Dropped my hat in the circle again this this year, my fourth challenge! 
No codpiece challenge for me though! 

A transplanted Aussie living in western France. My wife and I are renovating a circa 1720 historically listed Maison Particular (basically a 5 story, 1200sqm 12 bedroom chateau sized building in town). My hobby room tends to move around the house as we renovate, currently up to my forth workspace move, but hopefully into my final workshop wargames space later this year (126sqm). I have been wargaming since I was ten years old (1970), first using the Napoleonic red book and airfix 1/76 Napoleonic figs graduating to metal mini figs later on. World War Two 1/72-20mm is the largest part of my collection (4000 figs and vehicles), followed by 28mm Napoleonic, then medieval and ancients. I also have a smattering of 20mm science fiction, modern and a big collection of 1/72 ww1 aircraft. 

My main project this year though wargames related is my planned wargames wing of the house which was the former servants quarters above the stables and carriage house, it will include a number of tables to a maximum of 20m long (to fit my big Arnhem table). The rooms will be for big linked campaign games for wargames holiday guests, a workshop with ducted spray booth, 3d printing area, and lots of display cabinets, a kitchenette , a 1940 WW2 RAF ready room officers style bar, my reference library and toilet amenities. 

My current workspace with quite a view of the neighbors 17th C hunting lodge opposite us. 

My current painting desk is in my current wargames room (countess Hercé, the former female salon on the first floor) while I complete renovations of my workshop and wargames retreat, this will become our 65sqm master suite eventually. 

The current Salon de Guerre

Challenge goals

I tend to be a bit of a squirrel, but I find that keeps me interested in painting so I always have side projects rotating through my desk….I will try to stay on target this year with the listed plans! 

I will add Work In Progress  for the challenge on to my two blogs Storm and Conquest for my ancients to ww1 and Kampfgruppewillow for ww2 and modern wargaming as we go along. 

My plan this year is 1000 points outside the AHPC studios and I plan to complete a few personal projects plus add armies for our wargames holiday business relating to local battles and sieges. 

Main focus this year

  • 28mm Imperial  Roman’s 120 odd figs maybe more plus cavalry and artillery (main focus)
  • 28mm Caesarian army project 120+ odd figs, artillery (second focus)
  • 28mm German allied auxiliaries and cavalry 100 odd figs (third focus)
  • 20mm American airborne, artillery, jeeps etc plus three Waco gliders 70+odd figures + 3 fighters for air support 
  • 20mm Ww2 British Para - additions to my British para brigade, a supply section and drop area, complete three specific 1/72 horsa gliders for operation Tonga, plus my Hamilcar and tank, plus some jeeps and trailers transports. 
  • 20mm Volkssturm fall of Berlin 3 battalions, artillery and bits. 70 odd figs plus artillery and AA bits 
  • 20mm panzer Lehr - 70 odd figures plus half tracks, panzers etc for Normandy. 
  • 20mm Cold War Warpac and Nato vehicles, plus VDV infantry regiment 100 figures  + 20-30 odd vehicles and 5 aircraft. 
  • Terrain :- paint my growing pile of 28mm ancient, medieval and 20mm ww2 3d printed buildings 
  • A few 28mm Napoleonic odds and sods Prussians, Austrians and French infantry and cavalry  60-180 figs planned and undercoated.
  • Random 20mm vehicles, ww2 Dutch, ww2 Belgian, allied and German, just so I do not waste airbrush time really! 
I will also try to do a few pieces for the side adventures, mostly at a whim and if it involves aircraft (which I love building), naval or space ships.

All the best to everyone partaking in the challenge, may you produce pieces of art worthy of the brush God!

We are also offering a French Wargames Holiday prize for competitors, but I will let Curt explain that! 

Cheers
MattW 
French Wargame Holidays
Mayenne, France

32 comments:

  1. You're living the dream, Matt! :) I look forward to seeing what comes off your table during the Challenge (and getting a visit in next time we're in your neck of the woods).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, some days I am covered in dust I wonder if I am in a dream! I am looking forward to the day you visit that is for certain!

      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  2. very nice, not at all jealous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes I pinch myself still sometimes to make sure it is not a dream.

      Delete
  4. What Peter said, Wow! Impressive digs nice elbow room in the gaming area. Have fun in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a magnificent room, 36 sqm, the restoration project during the first year of Covid.

      Delete
  5. You have some huge place there! I have renevated much smaller houses and apartments and they were enough. I hope you have enough time to paint the little soldiers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to renovate during Spring to Autumn when it is warm, I then have winter off to paint and go on holidays. We have about 300sqm to go and we will have completed the main house. The stables, carriage house and servants quarters will be after that another 240sqm.

      My plan is to use the servants quarters as the main wargames centre where I could have a 20m table, full collection on display, my reference library and RAF style ready room bar for debriefing.

      Delete
    2. I hope to visit western France some time...

      Delete
    3. I look forward to your visit Teemu

      Delete
  6. Great stuff, Matt! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Barks! Around your neck of the woods on holidays this week in Oz

      Delete
  7. I agree with Curt, you are truly living the dream. What a fantastic place to live adnd to play. I have a long time delayed project of travelling all through France from Spain to Normandy, surely I will take a detoru to visit your place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live just south of the border of Normandy, for those who like ww2, the breakthrough point of Pattons push east to Le Mans and the destruction of the German 7th armies flank, leading to Falaise pocket. Plus the only field defeat of William the Conqueror, and 60 odd ancient and medieval battles and sieges.

      Delete
  8. I think you could fit my entire house in your gaming room. Renovating a building that size should get you a load of 6"x6"x6" AHPC terrain cubes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big room, it is the Temporary location until I complete the renovations of the stable block and servants quarter’s, the wargames area will then be over 160sqm area

      Delete
  9. That's not a hobby room, that's a hobby palace! Very well done indeed. I look forward to your entries, especially the terrain. Good luck! Like the hat, by the way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have a lot planned this year to make up for lasts years disaster! The hat now has some fine ostrich feathers so the hat will certainly be in the ring!
      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  10. That sounds like a damned fine wargaming/hobby area you're going to have eventually! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the new space will be a dream come true that is for sure

      Delete
  11. That's superb Matt, have always enjoyed following what you're up to on the LAF. It would be great to be able to follow the Wargames Room development

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post pictures on my blog as I progress as per the current room renovations

      Delete
  12. Bloody hell that is amazing.. off to show the Mrs on what could be done and what aspirations look like! Cant wait to see what projects you tackle for painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, it has been a journey that is for sure.

      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete
  13. Crikey, hope you get the chateau project finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less than a year I think. Should complete by November this year. Next year paint more figures before retirement the following year.

      Cheers
      Matt

      Delete