Thursday 8 December 2022

Work Space and Scratch Builds (GeoffreyT)

Hello fellow challengers,

My name is Geoff and this is my second challenge.  I am based in Perth, Western Australia, and this is the least remote location I have ever lived, and by comparable standards a gamers paradise.

The offensive image below is my messy painting workspace.   


Painting you say? Where are the paints?  They have been hidden away until H-hour on D-day.   In November I gathered my forces and found there was less unpainted lead in the cupboard than I expected.  Indeed, I expect to run out of minis during this challenge.

So, what I decided to do is 'go the full analog' and scratch build and sculpt some stuff to supplement the thin grey line of primed troopers.

I don't have any substantive experience in this field, so copied ideas and methods from various you-tubers access the inter-web.   That got the creative juices flowing, and I came up this this lot, and no doubt there is more to come.


Feel free to comment below if you recognise any of these globs of raw material pseudo fashioned into a miniature.  All nominally 28mm.  I'd be pleased if they were recognisable.  You may even be able to identify the source you-tubers I learned from.

I have tried a range of things; polymer clay, epoxy putty, beads and found objects, hot glue and polystyrene.   The polymer clay really surprised me by how good it is to use.  Having tried clay work when I was young, I was amazed how it is a completely different medium to work with.

Here is a close up of a few baddies


Anyhow, I am looking forward to laying a paint brush on these monstrosities, and cant wait until the challenge kicks off.

Kind Regards

Geoff.


 

18 comments:

  1. Wow, those are awesome Geoff. Good to see a fellow second timer. We'll be old Grognards like the rest soon enough. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Running out of unpainted minis is a one thing, filling the hole with self-sculpted minis is totally a different thing - especially in the time of 3D printers and ebays. Unfortunately I don't recognize your sculpts (there might be a floating eye from Doom), but I'm looking forward to see them painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a dungeons and dragon classic, the 'beholder'.

      Delete
  3. The concept of running out of minis to paint is entirely foreign to me, but I am absolutely dumbstruck by your creative solution to this unfathomable situation. What a great way to go, I look forward to your painting of these unique models!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running out of minis?? Funny I'm at the other side of the spectrum and in high stress because of the size of mmy "pile of shame" Shame we lived in opposite sides of the world (Spain) because I'm actively selling and giving away lots of stuff since last summer. The other commnet, what a talent to scratch creating models... green of envy ;-) Happy Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice creations - should look ace with paint on

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see some Mork Borg themed creations in that pile! I look forward to seeing more of these during the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in there is the corpse collector and the feasting wendigo. Today I just did the mutant chicken of kolkoroth.

      Delete
  7. fabtastic sculpts, looking forward to more

    ReplyDelete
  8. Running out of minis…. That is a foreign concept for me. Loving your sculpted minis, remind me of Monster inc stuff. All the best in the challenge

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don’t understand running out of minis….looking forward to see8ng your creations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Running out of minis, I understand the words but not the concept. Equally beyond my understanding is the talent involved in sculpting your own figures, very impressive, look forward to seeing them painted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome (and bizarre) scratch builds. They should be a lot of fun to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll look forward to seeing those scratch-builds painted up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for the kind comments. Dont get too excited by the scratch builds, you will see how dodgy they are when I paint them. I'm quite excited by the possibility that I will empty the cupboard of unpainted minis. It is something I have been working towards for a whilst now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Being able to sculpt shows real talent, so much more so than the ability to paint - Kudos ++

    ReplyDelete