Friday 30 December 2022

From ScottM: Sci-Fi Flyers - Studios x2 (80 pts)

And we're back for another year of painting goodness! I believe this is my 7th Challenge. I've completed my goals every year so hopefully I can continue with that success. I'm submitting two locations to start and both will be using science fiction figs.

1980's or Retro - I went with a V16 Windrunner Rocket Bike from Bombshell Miniatures. This 28mm resin fig is from they're Counterblast line of figs. I picked this as a retro fig as the front grill gives me a very retro '50s kind of feel.




Scoring: 28mm vehicle + location bonus = 40 pts.

Sci-Fi - For this location I went with another fig from Bombshell Miniatures. This 28mm resin fig is a Mekkus Strafer from their Counterblast Mekkus faction. The original fig came with the same kind of base as the fig above. I thought it weird having this flying vehicle basically hovering just above the ground, so I made up a much more appropriate base using some a 60mm round wood base, a brass rod and some assorted bits I've had in a drawer for who-knows-how-long.





Scoring: 28mm vehicle + location bonus = 40 pts.


Scoring Total: 80 pts.

Onto the next location!

____________________________________

Oh man, I love that retro rocket bike! The chrome wraparound grill and the baby-blue colour that you picked is just perfect for it - it's just screams 50's sci-fi. The Mekkus is a very aggressive looking beast. Being scaled to 28mm, it must be quite large. It's interesting that at certain angles it looks quite TIE-like. I think your addition of a taller stand was inspired. Well done! 

- Curt

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful models! And that Mekkus, if that is a 60mm base then it is huge. And it has some TIE-likeness, the core of the ship and how the wings are attached. Although it looks a bit like X-wing too, the shape is similar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an incredible model! Nicely painted as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful stuff. The bike is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. The blue bike is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid bike and flyer - so well painted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great retro bike. Looks like something from Flash Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that retro-futuristic look. Excellent painting job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice of models and you've definitely done them justice, well done!

    ReplyDelete