Tuesday 27 December 2022

From TomC: Union Artillery [Under Construction] (20 points)

Hello everyone, happy holidays and I hope everyone is well. Quite a few firsts for me here, first challenge and off to an especially slow start following another first for me, COVID, so keen to add to my first and only completed figure of 2022 so far...

I've started at the Under Construction site to at least up that number a little! These characters will likely be a familiar sight, the officer and artillery from Warlord Games Epic Battles American Civil War sprue which they gave away with Wargames Illustrated. I'm a little behind the curve on these but it was nice to do something different: in over twenty years of hobby I've never either done anything below 28mm or attempted just a summer grass base! I shall remain quiet about the fifty infantry who also came on the sprue...



The Warlord plastics are quite 'flat-pack', so I carved one of the gunners out for a little dimension. I do think I'd struggle to keep up variety for a large battery though.

The cannon itself seemed quite chunky, so I went with a more traditional bronze-ish metal, which also seemed quite colourful. Thankfully the Union seemed to trend towards accessories being black which always gets a thumbs up from this slow painter.




Did anyone else play Ultimate General Civil War?


For the uniforms, I started with Vallejo Game Colour Night Blue, then quickly realised both that Night Blue is satin and secondly that I hate satin paints (apologies gloss fans...). 

In other news, I thought the officer looked a bit like Kiefer Sutherland, hence the blond hair.



Someone has to wave the sword...


Particular thanks to my lovely wife firstly for the light box and secondly for showing me how to edit the photos out of the stygian gloom I'd managed to achieve, despite the light box. Any lack of focus is entirely my fault. 

As the figures were all partially started earlier in the year, they are nil points, just the location bonus of 20 points for today.

Next up, High Adventure, in the meantime, good luck everyone!

________________________________________

First, welcome to the Painting Challenge, Tom! I'm sorry to hear that you have a bout of the Salty Cough and I hope you're well on the mend now. These It's great that you've made good use of the 'Under Construction' theme to get yourself on the points roster. I quite like the soft bronze highlight of the gun, especially when set against the blue and black of the crew. 

I'm going to add a few more points for you finishing this set - well done! Looking forward to what you have in store for us for 'High Adventure'.

- Curt

26 comments:

  1. Nice looking union men. I get the impression with the new sets from Warlord that variety isn't a high priority. The flat pack figures seem designed to let you get masses of troops on the table at one time at the cost of a certain amount of repetition. Trying to convert individual figures to spice up your bases probably isn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart - I think the mass effect looks better for the Napoleonics where they're all uniform, it's the (limited) variety which causes the ACW line issues!

      Delete
  2. Excellent work on wee figures. You made the scene pop with the extras. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the gun'll be in the bushes before long though!

      Delete
  3. Welcome to Challenge, Tom! Very nice for a first attempt in this scale. The grass looks good, too, and the figures are brigth and nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, my next is 15mm so we'll see what the trajectory looks like...

      Delete
  4. Good work on thise figures. I have been looking with interest to the Naopleonic ranage, but do not want to commit yet to another scale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I also have the free Napoleonics sprues from Wargames Illustrated, I make no promises about them appearing in AHPC XIV!

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the challenge Tom, you’re off to a booming start (sorry, I couldn’t resist…). I’ve been looking at the new Warlords epic range too, I love what you have done with this crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, need to muster courage for the infantry!

      Delete
  6. Nice gun crew and commander, Tom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grest paintwork Tom. I like the bading too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good looking 'Boys in Blue'. Which reminds me I have some unfinished 15mm Union cavalry in a box somewhere, ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very gun and crew, Tom and Kiefer looks the part! Obviously, I couldn’t resist the temptation and have heavily bought into Warlord’s Napoleonic Epic series, but have yet to complete a single figure. Seeing these I might give them a try soon. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sounds like something to look forward to, although I did like your 28mm Napoleonics :)

      Delete
  10. Welcome to the madness of the annual AHPC. Hope you feel well soon. Really nice job on the epic scale figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete, one fever replaces another!

      Delete
  11. Very nice work! The advantage of the small scales is that you can paint more...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Barks, I'm putting it to the test!

    ReplyDelete