Saturday 7 January 2023

From Barks: Late Dark Age warriors (Under Construction)(62 points)

Herewith, eight Gripping Beast plastic dark age warriors. These will finally complete my SAGA Anglo-Danes! Late, because my blog exposes me starting this project in late 2012, declaring "In 2013 I'm looking into working on my 'Saga' forces."

Ten years later...




One can't rush these things, you know. Hand-painted shields and what-not.

Anyway, here's the entire contingent. Almost five figures each year! I have distant plans of adding another thirty-odd levy to run them as Anglo-Saxons...




I had to try and match my older painting style, and some of the colours have gone out of production. I think I went pretty well, and they look like a coherent force. Historical accuracy be damned, this is SAGA!

8x 28mm figures (40 points)

Under Construction set (20 points)


I am really not short of projects I could have chosen for this location...

Always good to see some Anglo-Danes, especially when they look as nice as this lot. Honestly speaking, 10 years isn't that bad for a project. I'm sure that most of us have something equally as old, if not more so. I'll throw in a couple of bonus points for the hand painted shields.

35 comments:

  1. Lol I have a bunch of these fellas in a forgotten state as well; think I bought them about the same time as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a whole Norman force just sitting on the sprue...

      Delete
  2. Great work Barks, love the hand-painted shields and you did a great job of matching them up with your previous work. Now, enjoy yourself and go have a game with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shields look great Barks. Excellent work, you can't rush perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those shields are great (I admire the man who can paint a straight line), and the faces too. They fit very well with your earlier figures, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Barks, they look great. Really like that blue on the shields. 10 years is nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb work on those I must say Barks

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  7. If my Byzantine collection could talk, they would tell you that a 10-year turnaround time is pretty solid compared to what they have experienced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a good thing they can't complain about my generalship either!

      Delete
  8. worth the wait and appreciate the effort put into painting the shields

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely figures, 10 years? That's about par isn't it?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. those shields arevindeed superb! Great work Barks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it the "Under Construction" is a great category. Great looking Anglo Danes ...
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on finishing a long-running project Barks. As I tell myself repeatedly, you can't rush these things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that you’re still chipping away at these 10 years later, perfect for this theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully that's the last chip, but they've got a lot of potential contenders!

      Delete
  14. Good looking Anglo-Danish warriors, Barks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent painting work. I'm actaully painting a Saxon warband. I'll use your models to unshamelessly inspire my painting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the shield colors. Well done.

    ReplyDelete