Sunday 19 February 2023

from Paul O'G: SciFi Terrain (31 points)

Due to popular demand* my submission this week is devoid of root twisted freaks and upsetting visages. These will return sooner than anyone wishes... 

* including a number of nefarious visitors, all of whom went home bemusedly clutching a slightly moist bag of turnips

Instead, this week I present a small offering of terrain for our 40k/Kill Team/Necromunda table. Nothing special, just some cheap sprues that I picked up at CanCon last month. I tried not to just make them the typical dull grey and think overall I did give them a lighter tone in which to face a grim dark future.


At the risk of igniting yet another TerrainGate (TM) incident- the furore of the last has only just dimmed after all, I did get to thunking.. For 20 points, a 6in cube presents an external painted surface area of 6x6 x5 sides (excluding the base) which is 180 square inches. Thats 9 square inches per point, though civilised types would correctly suggest that is slightly more than 56 square cm per point. And yet, for terrain in this style vice bulk volume, pigment application occurs on BOTH sides not just the external facing. So while this pair represent a Volume equivalent of 1.5 Terrain standard cubes, the painted area is in fact equivalent of 3 in terms of square inches painted - its a bally outrage you know! :-)

These are the sorts of musings one can make in the more refined and chill Sunday Crew (when not thinking about Turnips, obviously).  Anyway, more some terrain for the table and 30 points for my tally - have a great week everyone!

Behave, it's hard enough keeping the Snowlord calm at the best of times. What about painting trees, that would explode everyone's maths ability. I will give you an extra bonus point cos it's pretty

25 comments:

  1. Superbly painted and I note the dark corners and little alleyway in the first picture where no doubt conditions are ideal for growing vegetables :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for the great idea!
      "In the dark darkness of the far future, there is only vegetable gardens..."

      Delete
  2. Nice terrain Paul, worst mathematical reasoning ever. My dad who went to Dartmouth at age 13 learned spherical trig for star and sun sights. It’s a good thing for the RAN that you have sat Nav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂😂😂

      Delete
    2. I have the spherical trig scars and still have my log tables for the same purpose. All bollocks as it turns out - the world is indeed flat and carried on the back of a giant Turnip.

      Delete
  3. Great bashed-up buildings Paul. Your math is complete bollocks btw. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great terrain! The only way to score terrain scientifically when there is a dispute is to grind it up and measure the volume. As if it were mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly we need to adopt Turnips as the universal terrain SI unit of measurement

      Delete
  5. Very nice terrain. You could add a few weeds to keep in the turnip mode. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce - it was hard to resist. I consoled myself that they could always be added later after some Root Priest blessings

      Delete
  6. Nice work, Paul! I like the colors! They really enhance how sus that upper floor looks...I can hear that metal grinding creak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice terrain, and thanks for the rootless post, Paul. I think I feel a little less dizzy now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good stuff, how did you manage cold turnip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are semi-transparent root vegetables climbing up the walls around me...

      Delete