Saturday 18 March 2023

From MartinC Gods, Generals and Butterflies - Directors Chair - 480 pts

 So it seems I've timed it perfectly. My last post of the challenge (I've busted 5 paint brushes - don't fear I buy really cheap disposable ones), and I'm at the Directors Chair. I've painted loads of things and built some ridiculous hills for a massive game in August. Now for my last post. I'd thought I may get some more in but I've surveyed the recruits to be called up and none of them passed muster.

The Snowlord set me the challenge of completing my ACW armies. In my first challenge, I was a child,  I  had bought 2 brigade boxes of Perry Plastics, one of each side, giving me 10 plastic boxes to paint. Since them the collections have grown and now occupy 10 file boxes. I think they are the armies I have played the most with. I love playing with the ACW, my kind of wargaming on a massive table with 6 or 7 brigades a side.

I checked the file boxes and I needed 2 regiments to complete the armies, 1 per side. I repacked the boxes after agreeing to paint 2 regiments and found I could fit 2 regiments for each side and a Union cavalry regiment. Typical. So I bought want I needed at Hammerhead and sat down to paint


Perry Plastics Confederate regiment

Using our homebrew rules a regiment with less than 5 stands sufferes morale penalties. Most of my regiments are 5 bases strong, that's the number that fits in a row in a file box

Another standard Reb regiment

Rebels complete

For the Union I decided to have 2 negro regiments, so I purchased a box of Perry plastics and a pack of african ACW heads from the Perrys

55th Massachusetts. Swapping the heads was a pain in the backside as they didn't fit nicely

Nice to have different regiments

The next regiment is the 54th Mass, of "Glory" fame

They have a nice flag. Point of annoyance. New Perry plastic ACW boxes don't contain enough standard bearers

Finally the 3rd New Jersey Cavalry, known as the Butterflies

These are one of only 2 hussar regiments that fought in the conflict and they have extensive battle honours

I so like their gold lacing

So I'm done. What do the armies look like

Union

Rebels

The final Scores on the Doors, hope the Snowlord is happy

80 x 28mm infantry = 400
6 x 28mm cavalry = 60
Directors chair bonus = 20

total = 480pts

Right, chaps and chapesses, that is me signing off. Thank you for the great company over the winter, you stopped me being completely grumpy. See you all across a table or in the next challenge

Martin

An impressive paint bomb for your final post. These 4 infantry regiments and the cavalry all look great. Seeing your entire collection laid out on the table, it looks like you have more than enough men to refight the entire war. I am sure that the Show-lord will approve of this grand offering. Nice work.

-StuartL

14 comments:

  1. Those armies should make pretty much everyone happy! Good looking armies and post worthy of Director's Chair. Thanks Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an impressive looking finish to your challenge. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to finish up Martin. But not nearly random enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An impressive points bomb for your finale, Martin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, nice to get a bomb from painting figs and not foam

      Delete
  5. Great job, Martin! Your armies look quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid final points bomb!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those are great armies!

    ReplyDelete